Toxic Legalism in Christianity

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Toxic Legalism in Christianity

Post by SolaDude »

Here are what I consider to be the "Big Eight" characteristics of toxic legalism in Christianity. All are characteristic of the CofC IMO:

1. Lack of true joy.
2. No real victory over sin.
3. Unhealthy performance orientation (mindset of earning God’s affirmation, encouragement, and love).
4. A critical, hateful, and condemning attitude toward others.
5. Obsessive focus on outward standards of dress or behavior (focus on outward conformity rather than inward holiness).
6. Bondage to religious tradition (“This is the way we’ve always done it”)
7. A sectarian attitude toward other Christians, i.e., having a corner on truth
8. Little or no assurance of salvation, i.e., unresolvable doubt from trusting in one’s own obedience.
Opie

Re: Toxic Legalism in Christianity

Post by Opie »

Yep, sounds exactly like the CoC that I know. "Toxic legalism" is an excellent term to use.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Excellent posts. Now folks might ask themselves what creates that kind of environment? Just my opinion, but I wonder if it might come from taking the Bible too literally? It appears to me that kind of environment seems to exists mostly in fundamentalists versions of Christianity, and it also seems to me they tend to be Bible literalists, or am I wrong about that?

What other factors might create a legalistic environment?
ena

Post by ena »

SolaDude wrote:Here are what I consider to be the "Big Eight" characteristics of toxic legalism in Christianity. All are characteristic of the CofC IMO:

1. Lack of true joy.
2. No real victory over sin.
3. Unhealthy performance orientation (mindset of earning God’s affirmation, encouragement, and love).
4. A critical, hateful, and condemning attitude toward others.
5. Obsessive focus on outward standards of dress or behavior (focus on outward conformity rather than inward holiness).
6. Bondage to religious tradition (“This is the way we’ve always done it”)
7. A sectarian attitude toward other Christians, i.e., having a corner on truth
8. Little or no assurance of salvation, i.e., unresolvable doubt from trusting in one’s own obedience.
Good post! What is true is personal and not necessarily in line with the party-line.
ena

Post by ena »

Cootie Brown wrote:Excellent posts. Now folks might ask themselves what creates that kind of environment? Just my opinion, but I wonder if it might come from taking the Bible too literally? It appears to me that kind of environment seems to exists mostly in fundamentalists versions of Christianity, and it also seems to me they tend to be Bible literalists, or am I wrong about that?

I believe the belief in an inerrant bible is behind it. This means without error. This is provably not so. This does not mean the bible is trash, but an overall understanding of principles is necessary. Not every situation is described in detail. Divorce is a good example. Is adultry to only reason? The Bible was written by humans. There is a reason why? When God tried to deal with man directly he was told we want a king. Did kings work out so well over time? The answer is no. I have the same problem with a Pope. All humans are sinners. Sin at sometime will catch them. It did with David and many others. When David was right with God he could do wonderful things when not he was a murderer.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

ena wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:Excellent posts. Now folks might ask themselves what creates that kind of environment? Just my opinion, but I wonder if it might come from taking the Bible too literally? It appears to me that kind of environment seems to exists mostly in fundamentalists versions of Christianity, and it also seems to me they tend to be Bible literalists, or am I wrong about that?

I believe the belief in an inerrant bible is behind it. This means without error. This is provably not so. This does not mean the bible is trash, but an overall understanding of principles is necessary. Not every situation is described in detail. Divorce is a good example. Is adultry to only reason? The Bible was written by humans. There is a reason why? When God tried to deal with man directly he was told we want a king. Did kings work out so well over time? The answer is no. I have the same problem with a Pope. All humans are sinners. Sin at sometime will catch them. It did with David and many others. When David was right with God he could do wonderful things when not he was a murderer.
I think that's a healthy way of looking at the bible. If the bible is nothing but laws and rules that must be followed, then I can't imagine where spirituality would come from. It seems to me the basic premise of Christianity is to change hearts, and I'm not sure how just obeying laws and rules would accomplish that.
ena

Post by ena »

Cootie Brown wrote: I think that's a healthy way of looking at the bible. If the bible is nothing but laws and rules that must be followed, then I can't imagine where spirituality would come from. It seems to me the basic premise of Christianity is to change hearts, and I'm not sure how just obeying laws and rules would accomplish that.
It doesn't. You can want to be perfect but will invariably fall short. God is patient. Humans are not. The problem happens when think God is like humans. He is not. Hard to explain.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Number one, lack of true joy, describes my mother's existence during her lifetime. She was thoroughly involved in C of C for many years. We were taught that having fun was inherently sinful and we always felt guilty if we enjoyed anything too much. I think this mindset dates back to the middle ages when religious people were taught that suffering was their lot in life and to only focus on their eventual life after death.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:Number one, lack of true joy, describes my mother's existence during her lifetime. She was thoroughly involved in C of C for many years. We were taught that having fun was inherently sinful and we always felt guilty if we enjoyed anything too much. I think this mindset dates back to the middle ages when religious people were taught that suffering was their lot in life and to only focus on their eventual life after death.
It made me so sad that my parents didn't feel assured of their salvation. I wanted so much more than that for them.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:
faithfyl wrote:Number one, lack of true joy, describes my mother's existence during her lifetime. She was thoroughly involved in C of C for many years. We were taught that having fun was inherently sinful and we always felt guilty if we enjoyed anything too much. I think this mindset dates back to the middle ages when religious people were taught that suffering was their lot in life and to only focus on their eventual life after death.
It made me so sad that my parents didn't feel assured of their salvation. I wanted so much more than that for them.
It is sad that people waste their lives that way. All are sinners. Recognize it and deal with it. Jesus covers much more than you might believe. Paul had trouble with some believers because they started to sin all the more because they were free of the consequences. He clearly states that is not the point. The whole chapter is excellent.

Roman 6 KJV

6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

God frees you from sin so you can free your self from its hold. You will never be free from all sins but do the best you can to avoid it. Half the problem is recognizing it in first place. They are some that don't.

Isaiah 64:6
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Note: filthy rags refers to minstrel rags in the Hebrew. This was doubly unclean to a Jew.

The lack of assurance of salvation ties you hands so you cannot help others. This is mostly unique to the CoC. That is why I cannot abide such.