Childless, Mothers/Fathers Day and Church of Christ

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
OneStrike_ur_out

Re: Childless, Mothers/Fathers Day and Church of Christ

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I am a very depressed person who often thinks of suicide. I am too scared to actually do it, but I think if it. People who rub it in my face that they have kids are part of the reason. That may be one of the few things that I liked about the cOC. Mothers/Fathers days were largely ignored. To them, it was just another Sunday.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
ena

Post by ena »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:I am a very depressed person who often thinks of suicide. I am too scared to actually do it, but I think if it. People who rub it in my face that they have kids are part of the reason. That may be one of the few things that I liked about the cOC. Mothers/Fathers days were largely ignored. To them, it was just another Sunday.
Used to be depressed but no longer. Low Vitamin D levels can leave you depressed. So can sleep apnea. Find out where you are. If takes a blood test called 25 hydroxy vitamin D. Also many in our country suffer low thyroid function. We don't get enough iodine. Also there are iodine thieves like chlorine, fluorine and bromine. Chemically these are called halides. Even medicines can contain them. I found one that I am prescribed that does. I eat kelp salads for iodine. This is a Japanese thing. You can get kelp supplements. This comes from fresh kelp. Sushi is wrapped in nori. These are dried and pressed kelp sheets. I have bought it in Asian markets. Costco has the salads and dried kelp snacks. The snacks are good and potato chip like. A full thyroid panel is t3, t4, reverse t3 and TSH. TSH stands for throid stimulating hormone. It comes from the brain. My doctor only checks TSH. It will show some problems but not all. Good luck! I was once depressed because of poor CoC theology. There are other ways to God.
ena

Post by ena »

Addition the the above. I was just informed that magnesium is helpful for depression. Use chealates of magnesium not magnesium oxide which is very available in cheap suppliments. Chealates are chemicals that end in -ate. words like malate, citrate, glycinate, aspartate etc. There are forms of magnesium that make you go to the bathroom like Phillips milk of magnesia. The chelates work without the problem. Another cause of depression is B vitamins. I take a B complex. B12 is done sublingually. This means under the tongue. Low B12 can really mess up your body. The B vitamins can easily washout of the body. Again they have an effect on depression. This is nutritional information not MD information. The tests of the thyroid and vitamin D are doctor moderated. I listen to doctors on youtube. I understand the Latin words they use for parts of the body. Chemicals generally follow German language rules. In German adjectives are added to nouns. A pink and purple hockey puck becomes pinkpurplehockeypuck. Germans led the world in Chemistry in the 1800's. Also Theology. Interesting how this happens. Could be God. I have had interesting things happen so I don't ignore. Good luck.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I suffered from depression for years. I now take anti-depressants and I am much happier.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

OneStrike_ur_out, would you mind checking in and letting us know how you're doing? Hope things are better for you at this point.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Moogy wrote:I suffered from depression for years. I now take anti-depressants and I am much happier.
I used to take them and I admit, I was happier, but I had memory loss problems. Now that I'm getting older I'm worried as I've read they can cause someone to develop dementia earlier. I just don't want them.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:
Moogy wrote:I suffered from depression for years. I now take anti-depressants and I am much happier.
I used to take them and I admit, I was happier, but I had memory loss problems. Now that I'm getting older I'm worried as I've read they can cause someone to develop dementia earlier. I just don't want them.
It's a dilemma....if one really needs them, one needs them. But yes, the possible dementia link is concerning. As with everything,
we have to weigh risks vs benefits.
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:
faithfyl wrote:
It's a dilemma....if one really needs them, one needs them. But yes, the possible dementia link is concerning. As with everything,
we have to weigh risks vs benefits.
I have had problems with some depressants make sure that a significant other is watching your behavior. The one I am thinking is Prozac. It works very well to the point I had no conscience. I was not depressed because I could not feel sorry for anything I did. My offenses were social but I wonder about soldiers returning with PTSD. A hired killer with no conscience? We already have enough of those. Also suicide rates are higher with teenagers on antidepressants. Part of the key is correct dosage level. The problem is that your doctor is not watching you day to day. They have to guess with everyone reacting at different levels. Also we live with stresses in our society that are not reasonable. Make sure you take down time. I used to save vacation time so I would get a cash payout when I left a company. I have learned since then that that is a bad idea. Make sure you don't C of C PTSD. It rhymes. :lol:
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

Ivy wrote:OneStrike_ur_out, would you mind checking in and letting us know how you're doing? Hope things are better for you at this point.
Hi there. Thank you for asking. I've been up and down. I manage a smile here and there, but that's about it. I hit rock bottom for awhile and considered hospitalization. I may still end up doing that. I lost a dear friend with whom I could confide in. She didn't die or anything. She just sort of pulled away from me. Oh no, now I sound like a cOC member. "She has gotten pulled away!" :D Anyway, we were so close for awhile. And then last May, right around the day I dread the most every year (Mother's Day) something happened and she has not been the same since. If I catch her at the right time, every once in a blue moon, she will talk to me. It's not much, and it's certainly nowhere near what it used to be. But...I'll take it over nothing I suppose. :cry: She even tells me that I am still a friend to her and that her not talking like she used to is not a reflection on me in any way, shape, or form. I take a little solace in that. But, not much. The way I see it, I may as well have done something to upset her, because the end result is the same. Our once great friendship is a shell of what it used to be, if even that. I still love her, but sadly, that love is slowly fading. Anyway, that's kind of where I am right now. Just taking it a day at the time.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Good to hear from you, one strike!!

I had that to happen with a friend too.