Quick Hide the Beer!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Quick Hide the Beer!

Post by Ivy »

I do wonder if the wine of those days was 13% alcohol like we have today. I remember a NICOC preacher who maintained that the wine they had back then was "watered down", so was much weaker than our current versions. I supposed this line of thought made it ok to the preacher that Jesus drank it. :lol: However....If Jesus was sinless, then he was never "one drink drunk" like some in NICOC say of light or occasional drinkers.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

One of my upsetting childhood memories is the time my dad for some reason brought home a six-pack of beer. The freak out my mother had, and the argument they had, was something to behold. As far as I know he never tried that again. :lol:
no-cults-4-me

Post by no-cults-4-me »

In ancient times wine was partially evaporated and concentrated for storage and shipping. It made the stuff even stronger. It was shipped in large jugs called amphorae. The idea was that it was to be mixed with water using 'mixing bowls' when it came time to drink it. I saw an endless row of mixing bowls in the British Museum. They weren't used to make cakes. Leave it to religious folks to display a complete lack of knowledge and a total disregard for basic facts.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

no-cults-4-me wrote:In ancient times wine was partially evaporated and concentrated for storage and shipping. It made the stuff even stronger. It was shipped in large jugs called amphorae. The idea was that it was to be mixed with water using 'mixing bowls' when it came time to drink it. I saw an endless row of mixing bowls in the British Museum.
I never knew that. Thanks no-cults. So....concentrate....kind of like frozen Welch's. So you could make it as weak or as strong as you liked. Interesting.
no-cults-4-me

Post by no-cults-4-me »

I read an account of this concentrated wine in a book about Celtic history. The Greeks were the first major civilization to deal with the Celts. They were trading partners. The Greeks traded their concentrated wine for the tin that was mined in Britain. The Greeks were shocked that the Celts slurped the concentrated wine down like crazy without watering it down.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

no-cults-4-me wrote: The Greeks were shocked that the Celts slurped the concentrated wine down like crazy without watering it down.
That sounds about right. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ena

Post by ena »

To a diabetic alcohol promotes high blood sugar. That is actually called glucose. Too much glucose ruins your nerves, brain, eyesight, feet, heart, vascular system. It kills you in a thousand ways. I avoid such things. I have found that food cooked in wine can be yummy but that blows off the alcohol but leaves the fruit sugars which can help out the dish. I have no use for beer. I tastes bad because I do not like the bitterness of hops. It dehydrates you. A hangover is caused by dehydration. Humans sense thirst poorly.
You can avoid this problem by drinking lots of water. I make a mean Chicken Kung Pow with rice wine or dry sherry. Alcohol depletes magnesium and potassium in your body. You urinate it out. This can cause muscle lock ups, twitches. cramps and allot of pain. Medically alcohol is poison. I have no religious opinions about it except drunkedness. I disagree with the CoC almost everywhere. I have heard lies straight from the pulpit as well as tons of misinformation. It made for many poor decisions. At one time I could not recognize a spiritually driven person when I met them. I looked at people too legalistically. Did God make you judge and jury? There are many spiritual gifts. The Bible does not list them all. You will find them in the greater world. You won't find much in the CoC. I wandered there for 21 years. Total waste!
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

I've got a funny story about beer. When my parents came for my wife's funeral, I had some Tecate in the fridge. Tecate is a Mexican beer that is canned in a red can much like Coke. My dad saw the cans and assumed it was some kind of knock-off cola. He popped one open and started to drink. Next thing I hear, he's calling from the other room, "You've corrupted me." I go in to see what he's talking about and he's sitting there with a beer. He drank the whole thing and admitted it wasn't too bad. He's never been a tee-totaler and my mother has even accused him of being an alcoholic from time to time for keeping a bottle of wine in the house and sometimes drinking a full glass before he goes to bed.

She was having a difficult time sleeping when they were here and I gave her a shot of Jagermeister one evening. She slept well and then complained the next day about having vivid dreams.
ena

Post by ena »

Shane R wrote:I've got a funny story about beer. When my parents came for my wife's funeral, I had some Tecate in the fridge. Tecate is a Mexican beer that is canned in a red can much like Coke. My dad saw the cans and assumed it was some kind of knock-off cola. He popped one open and started to drink. Next thing I hear, he's calling from the other room, "You've corrupted me." I go in to see what he's talking about and he's sitting there with a beer. He drank the whole thing and admitted it wasn't too bad. He's never been a tee-totaler and my mother has even accused him of being an alcoholic from time to time for keeping a bottle of wine in the house and sometimes drinking a full glass before he goes to bed.

She was having a difficult time sleeping when they were here and I gave her a shot of Jagermeister one evening. She slept well and then complained the next day about having vivid dreams.
Love the story. Hang overs are caused by dehydration. Drink a lot of water before bed and you will wake up normally.