Quick Hide the Beer!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: Quick Hide the Beer!

Post by B.H. »

Cootie Brown wrote:
B.H. wrote:Islam forbids me drinking alcoholic beverages for recreational use.
So, are you saying you drink alcohol but you don't drink it for recreational purposes? :o Hmmm?
I do not drink alcoholic beverages period.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Well folks, after the in-laws left I went to the fridge and grab her a beer and we sat outside and reflected on how things went during the visit.

I like all the comments about wine. I myself are a red/cab drinker. I do like Riesling but only in the summer. I do not like sweet drinks so much. I drink unsweet tea and coffee black. But, when I want to really enjoy an adult beverage I drink my 100% pure agave over a couple of cubes of ice-no lime or salt. Truly the nectar of the gods.

On a serious note, my wife thinks that since I responded to her dad about what I thought of his article, he will just leave it alone now. No problems, no discussions and no passive aggressive statements regarding our leaving the one true church.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

gordie91 wrote: No problems, no discussions and no passive aggressive statements regarding our leaving the one true church.
That is great, gordie. Passive-aggressive cofc-ers are just as bad as, if not worse than, in-your-face bullying cofc-ers.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

I started drinking alcohol just a few years ago. I generally don't like beer, but I do like Redd's Wicked Apple and Henry's Hard Soda. Champagne is okay. I also like zinfadel, pinot grigio, and chardonnay. But I don't drink much at a time. Never been drunk!
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Tsathoggua wrote:But I don't drink much at a time. Never been drunk!
I'm sure there are some of your former congregants that would disagree with that statement. I heard that even a sip could be phase 1 of being drunk and how do you know when too little is too much. So DONT DRINK!!!!!! :lol:
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

gordie91 wrote:
Tsathoggua wrote:But I don't drink much at a time. Never been drunk!
I'm sure there are some of your former congregants that would disagree with that statement. I heard that even a sip could be phase 1 of being drunk and how do you know when too little is too much. So DONT DRINK!!!!!! :lol:

Oh yeah, I do remember hearing that being said, many years ago. I always thought that was stupid, even during my teetotalin' days.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

KLP wrote:Bible doesn't say anything about beer. :)
Technically, it does. "Strong drink" in the Bible was grain alcohol. "Wine" was fruit alcohol. They didn't have what we call "strong drink" today.

So in Numbers 28, there's a required daily offering of an umblemished lamb, a prescribed amount of grain, and a prescribed amount of strong drink. They were literally offering beer to God.

This verse, in particular, helped to convince me (when I was still a believer, and still committed to the NI-Church of Christ) that drinking alcohol was not only not-sinful, but encouraged. The preacher said that "strong drink" was always condemned in the Bible, then he managed to say somehow (I don't remember now) that Numbers 28 didn't mean what it said. (KJV says "strong wine," but that's still obviously not fresh grape juice.)

Anyway, I hadn't thought about it much before that, but in that 3-Wednesday-night study on alcohol led by a preacher who claims to have never in his life touched a drop, he managed to convince me that it was perfectly acceptable.

Not only that, they're taking something the Bible calls a blessing (only blessings get offered in sacrifices), and claiming it's a sin. That sort of thing can land you in Hell!
Opie

Post by Opie »

As B.H. said, it is Islam that forbids consuming alcohol, while Christianity does not forbid consuming alcohol.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Opie wrote:As B.H. said, it is Islam that forbids consuming alcohol, while Christianity does not forbid consuming alcohol.
Some churches forbid it, though, teaching as law the commandments of men.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
- Matt 15:7, KJV
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
no-cults-4-me

Post by no-cults-4-me »

Religious fanatics drive me nuts. Mention 'strong drink' and they go crazy on you. They don't notice that the Bible has people swilling wine on every other page. Tell them that and they'll insist that it's Welches Grape Juice. Yeah, right... the first miracle that Jesus performs is turning water into Welches Grape Juice. It kinda kills the beauty of the story doesn't it? Don't you think that it's odd that in actuality religious fanatics have a theological knowledge on a level with tree squirrels?