A Good Old-Fashioned Book Burning

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: A Good Old-Fashioned Book Burning

Post by B.H. »

Shane Scott
I remember that. I never was non-institutional but at one time read a lot of their literature. I recall it was a pretty big deal.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
Shane Scott
I remember that. I never was non-institutional but at one time read a lot of their literature. I recall it was a pretty big deal.
I don't remember this name at all. What year / decade was this? :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

Only when I was very young did I think having a fluency in KOINE Greek was what I needed to be truly inline and pleasing to God. But yes, I enjoyed listening to those with a good educational background and capable minds. I came to the view and understanding that the Gospel just wasn't that complicated.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
ena

Post by ena »

Shane R wrote: You've made a great point about the anti-intellectual and faux scholarship prevalent in the CoC. I went to one of their little summer "preacher training schools" years ago and one lesson was how to do a word study. We were all given a copy of Cruden's concordance that we could take home with us when we graduated. We were then taught to look up the word you wanted to study and read the NT verses that it appears in. There are several flaws with this approach: 1)Cruden's is based on the KJV 2)some of the KJV words are hopelessly archaic and have shifted meaning in surprising ways such that, without a proper context, you may come away with a totally wrong idea of how the word is being used - an example is 'prevent' 3)the KJV is inconsistent in how it translated a particular Greek word - the translators worked in committees and were assigned blocks of text to work through; there was no attempt to synchronize the results from one committee to the next (if you get an actual 1611, you will quickly notice the spelling is not even synchronized) 4)some of the English words represent more than one Greek word - the classic example is 'love.'
Strong's exhaustive gives every Greek word a number. Any time it occurs in the text it is listed. The original authors name is James Strong. Most recently other Bible versions have been added for their English terms. This makes it somewhat more difficult. A good study is the word: hell. The real meanings are different from what you might think in English. It can be Sheol, Gehenna, or Tartarus behind the word hell in the KJV. The KJV comes from newer manuscripts. We have older ones today as well as fragments. Some fragments date to the 2nd century. The original manuscripts were probably were papyrus and did not survive being handled. I do not believe in inerrancy. There are differences within manuscripts.