C of C People Can Be Mean

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

C of C People Can Be Mean

Post by Struggler »

I work with a couple of them who will make derogatory comments about people and then giggle or laugh about it. They'll giggle at the misfortune of others, a habit I've noticed among many C of C'ers. They're like Jr. High Mean Girls. I don't attribute this to nervousness--it's one thing if you're 12, another if you're in your 50s or 60s.

One of the ones I work with will make all manner of these remarks and then go "ho, ho, ho" at the end as if it's the funniest thing anyone has ever said. She gets kinda pissy if you call her on it or if you're not laughing at her meanness. I think it's their C of C mindset that makes them feel entitled to do this kind of thing, as if they get to decide who is wrong or right, etc.
agricola

Re: C of C People Can Be Mean

Post by agricola »

You'd think they'd have grown out of that by now - it is driven by insecurity of course. Not that I know those women, but I've known people like them - if they can feel superior together, then they can 'belong' somewhere. Tolerable in a 15 year old, but a bit 'off' for someone supposedly grown up.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
katisha

Post by katisha »

I ran into this a lot in the CofC. They preach against gossip, which only applies to themselves, of course, but then revel in gossiping and bad mouthing "the world". I always wondered, if converting the world is their main task, how can you honestly work to convert and save people that you look down on and mock? If you don't respect and love them, why would you even care to save them?
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

I remember we would always go out to eat with a group after church on Sundays. All we would ever do is make fun of and talk about people behind their backs. I was as guilty as the rest of them. For several years after leaving I would catch myself wanting to talk about people when they weren't around, and I know I got that from years of being exposed to it in the CoC. I honestly think for most people their lives are so boring they have nothing better to do than talk about and make fun of other people. Their attitudes towards other people are terrible, and they think they're the only ones going to heaven? Give me a break.
Scott

Post by Scott »

We had a Brother that was obese. They kicked him out of the Church because he wasn't trying hard enough losing weight.
I thought we were here to forgive others so that we can be forgiven. At that time I was new and young. Now that I look back on this I should have realized then and there that there was a problem with this Church.
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Scott wrote:We had a Brother that was obese. They kicked him out of the Church because he wasn't trying hard enough losing weight.
I thought we were here to forgive others so that we can be forgiven. At that time I was new and young. Now that I look back on this I should have realized then and there that there was a problem with this Church.
They probably disfellowshipped him for the sin of gluttony; self righteously blind to the fact that they too are sinners ... just addicted to a different sin.
Unity in diversity
bnot

Post by bnot »

When you question the coc doctrine, the mean attitude will come out. Consistently.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

To the really bossy mean one, everything is a doctrinal issue to her. She gets pissy if she doesn't like what you eat, where you shop and so on. And she attends a "liberal" C of C.
musicman

Post by musicman »

bnot wrote:When you question the coc doctrine, the mean attitude will come out. Consistently.
Very true!

Once I left the C o C I soon discovered just how un-Christian the "only true Christians" can be.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Have to be careful or that ugly will come out like a shotgun blast.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.