Church publishes email/phone of couple from another church!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Lerk

Church publishes email/phone of couple from another church!

Post by Lerk »

This post falls under the "crazy experiences" category.

I still go to a Church of Christ for reasons that I've explained before. They would consider me a "struggling christian," I suppose, because I was outed as an atheist and managed to convince them that I was going to try to believe again. In the year and a half since that happened, nobody has questioned me. I kind of hate it but it keeps family relationships smooth.

Anyway, being that I'm still a member, I'm still on the email list. Monday, the following email (names redacted) was sent to the congregation:
Sent: 8:33 AM Monday
Subject: (family name) contact information and update
I have not yet spoken with (his name), but a text from (her name) to (woman at our church) indicated they have joined the Catholic church. Needless to say, we need to reach out to them to see what we can do to get them back to the Lord's church. Any and all efforts are greatly appreciated. Their souls are at stake! James 5:20.

(his name) - phone: nnn-nnn-nnnn; email name@server.com
(her name) - phone: nnn-nnn-nnnn; email name@server.com
address:
This was out of the blue. We weren't there Sunday night, so I have to assume that an announcement was made. This couple are not members of our congregation!

James 5:20 is the verse that says if you turn a sinner from the error of their ways you'll save them from death and cover a multitude of your own sins (and I thought God didn't keep score!).

So, two hours later:
Sent: 10:37AM Monday
Subject: Update on (family name)
I apologize for all of the emails, just want to be sure everyone is up to date if you decide to reach out to them. Here is what (his name) just sent to me:

Hi (elder's name),

We have not joined the Catholic Church. We are studying and searching without bias, at least that is our intention. We want to go wherever the truth leads us. I have had many questions over the years that I am sadly just addressing.

I would be more than happy to study once we figure everything out. At this time, we are studying and praying together and quite honestly want to be able to do so without pressure. If that day comes that we decide to leave the church of Christ, then I would be open to group studies.
As I said, this couple are not members of our congregation; yet this elder, in his concern for their "souls" (they've joined the Catholic church! We have to get them back to the Lord's church!) published their email addresses, phone numbers, and home address to the entire congregation (everyone on the email list, anyway). You can see the polite reaction of the man, saying essentially that they don't want to be bothered, they just want to figure this out, and that their searching for the truth is long overdue. I doubt they would sue, but if contact from people they've never met becomes a big enough hassle, they might be seriously tempted.

I don't know how this happened, but I would speculate that the woman mentioned as having received the text must have been really worried about her friends from another congregation, and brought her concerns to her own church, asking for prayers, and the elder(s) decided it would be good to be proactive. (After all, nothing fails like prayer.) I'm just guessing, here. It could easily have been someone else asking for prayers, and this woman just happened to follow up. People in the NI-Churches of Christ know a lot of people in other local congregations. (I'm surprised I don't know this couple; bet my sons and their wives do, though.) I don't know if I'll ask how this came about or maybe just leave that up to my wife. I try to be as uninvolved as possible.

But I'd like to send this couple a card congratulating them on their decision to follow their doubts and try to figure out the truth.

Who knows, maybe they're on this site!
Moogy

Re: Church publishes email/phone of couple from another chur

Post by Moogy »

That is SO crazy and out of bounds, Lerk. But not too surprising, considering the other craziness we have seen.

I do think you should invite them onto this site, if you can do so in a way that doesn’t come back to bite you. There is also a COC to Catholic site, but I don’t know where to find it. I am in touch with the forum manager on Facebook.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Such a violation of privacy. They could probably take legal action if they were so inclined. :evil:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

One of my pet peeves is treating Catholics like sub-human filth. I hate seeing all of the evangelical churches plan their little two week summer mission trip to Mexico or Guatemala or some other country that actually has a higher percentage of Christians than the USA, but they are Catholic so it doesn't count.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Shane R wrote:One of my pet peeves is treating Catholics like sub-human filth. I hate seeing all of the evangelical churches plan their little two week summer mission trip to Mexico or Guatemala or some other country that actually has a higher percentage of Christians than the USA, but they are Catholic so it doesn't count.
Agreed!!! It is shameful.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Shane R wrote:One of my pet peeves is treating Catholics like sub-human filth. I hate seeing all of the evangelical churches plan their little two week summer mission trip to Mexico or Guatemala or some other country that actually has a higher percentage of Christians than the USA, but they are Catholic so it doesn't count.
I feel the same way. There is a huge anti-Catholic problem amongst churches in Dallas. Not just C of C but other Christian fundamentalist denominations.

Of course, the Presbyterian churches I've gone to aren't anti-Catholic at all, as they have some history being descended from that Catholicism.
ena

Post by ena »

faithfyl wrote: Of course, the Presbyterian churches I've gone to aren't anti-Catholic at all, as they have some history being descended from that Catholicism.
Alexander Campbell was a Presbyterian minister and given a Baptist baptism. Associated with Baptists too. The truth becomes funnier the more I think of it. That is why God keeps humans around.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

ena wrote:
faithfyl wrote: Of course, the Presbyterian churches I've gone to aren't anti-Catholic at all, as they have some history being descended from that Catholicism.
Alexander Campbell was a Presbyterian minister and given a Baptist baptism. Associated with Baptists too. The truth becomes funnier the more I think of it. That is why God keeps humans around.
That's the most ironic thing about the CoC. Campbell believed that there were Christians in all of the denominations. There would be no CoC had he not believed that, because his goal was to get everyone to come to an agreement. Of course, that goal was impossible because the Bible isn't especially clear on a lot of things. But by the early 1900s CoC folks thought they were the only ones going to Heaven, as did people in most denominations. But by the late 20th century, most Christians believed that there were Christians in all denominations, just as Campbell did, but the denomination he was mostly responsible for starting was still dogmatic that they were the One True Church.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Lerk wrote:
ena wrote:
That's the most ironic thing about the CoC. Campbell believed that there were Christians in all of the denominations. There would be no CoC had he not believed that, because his goal was to get everyone to come to an agreement. Of course, that goal was impossible because the Bible isn't especially clear on a lot of things. But by the early 1900s CoC folks thought they were the only ones going to Heaven, as did people in most denominations. But by the late 20th century, most Christians believed that there were Christians in all denominations, just as Campbell did, but the denomination he was mostly responsible for starting was still dogmatic that they were the One True Church.

I just got back from doing some research into local history at my local library. When I found out what I was wanting to know I stayed around the geneology center and just browsed. I found a history of Barry TX and in it was a history of the churches there. Under the section for the Baptist church it said in 1900 the Baptsit Church there paid some bigwig Baptist preacher to come down from Fort Worth and preach against the false teachings of the Methodist Church and pay for the preacher to debate the local Methodist minister if it need be. The Baptist records said that they felt the preacher gave a good thrashing against the Methodists and proved the Baptist Church to be the one true Church. :lol: There was a Church of Christ there too but it closed back in the 50's. Maybe they held their Bible wrong and God removed their candlestick. Who knows.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:removed their candlestick. Who knows.
You have to wonder.