Targeting church members

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Targeting church members

Post by faithfyl »

Has anyone ever suspected that a church person looked up your information online and decided to try and sell you something or do business with you based on their assessment of your finances? Such as realtors for example?
B.H.

Re: Targeting church members

Post by B.H. »

Maybe. I do not know for sure.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I don't think so....has this happened to you?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

My step brother and I had not talked to each other in 10 years when he called me at work one day and tried to get me to hold a Zig Ziglar motivational seminar for my employees. That was a very weird and short conversation.

It was also ingrained in me from an early age until I left home that if we needed any kind of work or service done, if there was a member of the church that provided such work or service we were to hire them. Regardless of quality. Also, since my dad was the preacher he expected a "brother" discount.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

OK y'all reminded me of something. This was before the days of internet searches. A former preacher of ours (nice man; we had always liked him) called us out of the blue. We had not seen or heard anything about him or from him in years. We were shocked and pleased to hear from him....until he started giving us an Amway pitch. Very short conversation, and we've never heard from him again. Very tacky, in my opinion. I don't understand why a preacher would think it would be ok to do this to a former church acquaintance.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Ivy wrote:OK y'all reminded me of something. This was before the days of internet searches. A former preacher of ours (nice man; we had always liked him) called us out of the blue. We had not seen or heard anything about him or from him in years. We were shocked and pleased to hear from him....until he started giving us an Amway pitch. Very short conversation, and we've never heard from him again. Very tacky, in my opinion. I don't understand why a preacher would think it would be ok to do this to a former church acquaintance.
Amway was (is?) a worse cult than the Church of Christ. If that is possible.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

We got lots of realtors at church being friendly with us. Back when I was an apartment renter, I don't remember these realtors being friendly or sending me birthday cards. They even send birthday cards to my kids. It's nice but I wonder if I wasn't a listed homeowner with 2 homes, would they still do this?

These days, you can find out a lot of financial information about people online.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Oh, we were always expected to do business with a church person if we needed a good or service they happened to provide. And they were often more expensive, but got away with it because of "the church."
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Mama used to say "He that is stingy is not honest". :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote:
Ivy wrote:OK y'all reminded me of something. This was before the days of internet searches. A former preacher of ours (nice man; we had always liked him) called us out of the blue. We had not seen or heard anything about him or from him in years. We were shocked and pleased to hear from him....until he started giving us an Amway pitch. Very short conversation, and we've never heard from him again. Very tacky, in my opinion. I don't understand why a preacher would think it would be ok to do this to a former church acquaintance.
Amway was (is?) a worse cult than the Church of Christ. If that is possible.
I wonder, Zeek....is Amway still around and as cultish as ever? My phone call from the preacher was years ago. I never hear of Amway any more (thankfully).