Appearances

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
ena

Re: Appearances

Post by ena »

trabucco excellent post. I have a personal bone to pick with the Mormons. Most Mormons are nice people but unaware of their history. The Book of Abraham attached to the Pearl of Great Price was a mistranslation of an Egyptian Book of the Dead commonly found in mummy cases. In short a lie. Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon which also claims that the Indians were of Jewish ancestry. In a DNA study of American Indians in the entire Americas. No Jewish blood was found. Another lie. Mountain Meadows Massacre was the slaughter of a Wagon Train Adults by a Mormon militia. This is known to the US government. They had been given rite of passage though Mormon Territory. There were older children left alive who could tell the story. Another lie and betrayal. A leader of the militia was blamed and shot. Probably he was innocent. This was under Brigham Young. They are part of the restoration movement and much of their Christian beliefs are like the CoC. There are some exceptions.

Wiki has an article on it.

hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_Massacre
trabucco

Post by trabucco »

Thanks. It's surprising I can even see straight at the moment. Almost missed a deadline on a paper this week in addition to some other problems.
ena wrote:I have a personal bone to pick with the Mormons. Most Mormons are nice people but unaware of their history. The Book of Abraham attached to the Pearl of Great Price was a mistranslation of an Egyptian Book of the Dead commonly found in mummy cases. In short a lie.
That's most of their stuff. I've served with several Mormons in uniform. Needless to say it was a confusing experience at times trying to follow their logic (my head still hurts thinking about it).

It was stunning to hear my dad say that considering that he and my mom are adamantly against LDS teachings being coC. :shock: It was already a tough enough conversation with the blatant arrogance and judgment they were slinging that day. Thanks, I'll stick with the Anglican side for now. At least here I get coffee and alcohol.
ena

Post by ena »

faithfyl wrote:That's what I thought. But the Mormon church has grown in leaps and bounds since then while the C of C has remained stagnant.
Mormons are big on family events. They also do missionary work. The CoC has turned in on itself for legalistic reasons. Don.t try anything new with the CoC. The legalists will make it impossible. Lots of personal experience here. Let's have a funeral for Jesus that maybe provides salvation. The best way to get saved in the CoC is to drown in the baptistery.
ena

Post by ena »

trabucco wrote:Thanks. It's surprising I can even see straight at the moment. Almost missed a deadline on a paper this week in addition to some other problems.
ena wrote:I have a personal bone to pick with the Mormons. Most Mormons are nice people but unaware of their history. The Book of Abraham attached to the Pearl of Great Price was a mistranslation of an Egyptian Book of the Dead commonly found in mummy cases. In short a lie.
That's most of their stuff. I've served with several Mormons in uniform. Needless to say it was a confusing experience at times trying to follow their logic (my head still hurts thinking about it).

It was stunning to hear my dad say that considering that he and my mom are adamantly against LDS teachings being coC. :shock: It was already a tough enough conversation with the blatant arrogance and judgment they were slinging that day. Thanks, I'll stick with the Anglican side for now. At least here I get coffee and alcohol.
I used to have a Mormon site that was almost line for line like the CoC. It's no longer there. The connection is Sidney Rignon and Joseph Smith who I believe both listened to Alexander Campbell if I remember this right. Mormons have a very spiritual way of looking at things. That is very different from the CoC logical approach. Christianity has a spiritual side that is diametrically opposed to the CoC way. Finding your way to balance is tough. Go where you can to practice and you'll eventually get it. There is no one path for all. I went though Atheism. I gained an understanding of what the Bible is and is not. I longer suggest that way. Otherwise enjoy. God has Christians squirreled away in more places than the CoC knows.
agricola

Post by agricola »

If you totally ignore the theological weirdness, the LDS is a lot like the CoC - same congregational structure, same sort of service, everybody is 'brother this' and 'sister that' and elders lead the congregation - they even sing a lot of the same songs!

The BIG difference outside theology (and boy, howdy, but THAT is a BIG difference!) is that the LDS church is by golly ORGANIZED. They have a hierarchy that rivals, if it doesn't surpass, the Roman Catholic Church.

Salt Lake City is the Vatican and the Prophet is darned near Pope, with the Council of Elders sitting in for the Cardinals.

Everything is planned down to the last detail. Members are even ASSIGNED to attend particular churches ('stakehouses') so that they stay pretty evenly distributed, and one stake doesn't get more people than another one nearby. The Church (HQ) even decides where and when a stakehouse will be built.

they aren't QUITE as dictatorial as the JW's (and they are nicer about it), but still - members are expected to BE THERE and DO THAT, and ENROLL YOUR CHILDREN IN, and VOLUNTEER HERE and if you don't show up at services often enough, there WILL be a church member on your doorstep to inquire as to why. It's his assigned job.

Preachers and songleaders - those are duties that rotate through the membership - to EVERYBODY and the CHURCH makes sure all the young folks get a turn at prayerleading, songleading and preaching. Family Night is a Thing. Church dances are a Thing. Teens attend classes in LDS history and beliefs weekly BEFORE school.

If the coc is sort of cultish, but fails due to lack of organization and follow through (which it does), then the LDS is the CoC on steroids, with a dayplanner.

Fine neighbors - until you are outnumbered, and then you have NO social life, because LDS takes up everybody's free time and you (you heathen, you) are not included. Unless, of course, you are interested in converting....

On good thing though - if you DO convert, the members won't suddenly drop you as soon as you complete the process.

Personally, the theological ideas totally turn me off and I don't see how on earth they EVER convert an actual adult person - but if it weren't for that little detail (which is huge, really) LDS would be darned attractive for anybody without a big family ALREADY.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:the LDS is the CoC on steroids, with a dayplanner
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

agricola wrote:Church dances are a Thing.
Well what more proof do you need that the Mormons aren't Christians?!?!?! </snark>
ena

Post by ena »

Lerk wrote:
agricola wrote:Church dances are a Thing.
Well what more proof do you need that the Mormons aren't Christians?!?!?! </snark>
They do use the Bible but insomuch as it is correctly translated! That is a real problem as any translation assumes that the translator has gist of the topic. The Book of Mormon of course is correctly translated because there is no evidence. The golden plates from which it was translated from were supposedly returned to their hiding place. The Bible takes a second seat with much suspicion because other churches do not use right. You should recognize that ball and chain from the CoC. The fact is that the Original Book of Mormon has changed. I used to have access to this information because the Tanners found an original book of Mormon and posted the differences in a book. Sandra Tanner is still alive. Her husband died. She is like the great grand daughter of Brigham Young. You cannot get more Mormon than that. She is now Christian not Mormon and talks on Youtube.

Joseph Smith was a bigot because Blacks could not be part of the priesthood in the Mormon Church. This has now changed because they had a revelation that they now could. This changed in 1978. As their church expanded they were forced to relax this view. You can easily google Mormon black to see several discussions of this. A good google is the Mountain Meadows Massacre where a Mormon militia betrayed and killed the adults in a wagon train.