Raffle tickets

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
flawed

Raffle tickets

Post by flawed »

Were they allowed in your COC experiences for kid’s fundraisers or were they considered gambling?
Ivy

Re: Raffle tickets

Post by Ivy »

flawed wrote:Were they allowed in your COC experiences for kid’s fundraisers or were they considered gambling?
I don't remember having those back when I was in cofc......probably a more recent phenomenon. Will be interested to see other responses from more
recent members.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Never had that in any CofC that I attended.
On the subject of gambling, where does the Bible say it is wrong? I don’t think it does.
flawed

Post by flawed »

What I meant was is it ok to buy raffle tickets that kids were selling, not specifically a COC organized fund raiser.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I bought a few over the years as long as the event was a charity of some sort.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
zeek

Post by zeek »

It would depend on which kid or kids were selling them. If they were from the "right" family it wouldn't matter what they did. They could do no wrong.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Buying chances was considered gambling. So was the cakewalk at the school carnival. Cannot do anything that would upset th' church.
flawed

Post by flawed »

Struggler wrote:Buying chances was considered gambling. So was the cakewalk at the school carnival. Cannot do anything that would upset th' church.
:lol: ok was wondering if it was just me. I remember my parents would always buy them for various school fundraisers but that all changed when one Sunday morning we had a very harsh sermon delivered to the faithful fold calling out the sinful raffle tickets. One of my kids are selling raffle tickets for their sports organization and they wanted to ask their grandparents to buy some...just one more topic I have to tip-toe around an explanation :roll:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

flawed wrote:
Struggler wrote:Buying chances was considered gambling. So was the cakewalk at the school carnival. Cannot do anything that would upset th' church.
:lol: ok was wondering if it was just me. I remember my parents would always buy them for various school fundraisers but that all changed when one Sunday morning we had a very harsh sermon delivered to the faithful fold calling out the sinful raffle tickets. One of my kids are selling raffle tickets for their sports organization and they wanted to ask their grandparents to buy some...just one more topic I have to tip-toe around an explanation :roll:
This reminds me of something mama used to say:
Matthew 23:24 King James Version (KJV)

24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
:P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

Absolutely not! Anything that involved an element of chance where not everyone won a prize was gambling. Although, the black churches are much less vocal about this as scratch-off lotto is so popular in the black community.