Church As An Idol

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

Church As An Idol

Post by Struggler »

I work with some C of C folks, and like those I was around during my younger years, it's all about "the church."
God, Jesus, living a Christian life, etc. are given lip service at most. It's all about the church.
Church this, church that.
They worship the institution and brand, in addition to the Bible.
Ivy

Re: Church As An Idol

Post by Ivy »

Struggler, I have often thought the same thing. I believe you are right on target. I noticed that they often kind of avoided saying "Jesus" and would say "th' Lord" instead, like they were a little uncomfortable saying his actual name. It was really weird once I got some distance and really thought about it. Worship the "brand" ("The church of Christ" ™; "the Church" ™) and the Bible, and warm a pew three times a week, and you're good. The greater picture and meaning escapes many of them...bless their hearts. I guess they thought saying the name too much might sound pentecostal. :P :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

A friend of mine suggested that instead of a long, drawn-out sermon, they have everyone stand and cheer, "Church of Christ! Church of Christ! YAY! Church of Christ!"

Every sermon, bulletin article and conversation is about "the church." That is their god.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Struggler wrote:A friend of mine suggested that instead of a long, drawn-out sermon, they have everyone stand and cheer, "Church of Christ! Church of Christ! YAY! Church of Christ!"

Every sermon, bulletin article and conversation is about "the church." That is their god.

Give me a "C"! Give me an "H"..... :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

B.H. wrote: Give me a "C"! Give me an "H"..... :lol:

Do MUSLIM to the tune of YMCA. Well you have to fudge a little. :lol: Hand movements are different too but I don't mime.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

ena wrote:

Do MUSLIM to the tune of YMCA. Well you have to fudge a little. :lol: Hand movements are different too but I don't mime.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

B.H. wrote:
ena wrote:

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
To bad it is not a 4 letter word, Then you might be lucky that it is not. Hand movements should be hands to the toes for a M. Hands in the air for U. Arms across the chest for an S. Boy I'm getting tired already. :lol: :lol: :lol: