Stopped going 5 months ago and crickets...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
kneedeep

Re: Stopped going 5 months ago and crickets...

Post by kneedeep »

Shane, I'd be interested in that book if you could find it. Apparently I spoke too soon. One member texted me last week. Today an elder was checking on my whereabouts. Basically told him I'm trying to figure things. He said I was welcome to meet with the elders at anytime to talk. I'm not ready to talk about it except to the people who have left.
ena

Post by ena »

seekingthetruth wrote: Kneedeep, after reading your post, I felt led to hit my knees and thank sweet Jesus for delivering me from that false religion that the enemy created. I thanked Him for pointing out to me all the fakeships built on fear. I pray that their eyes will be opened one day.

I am still in contact with a few people though. The Holy Spirit is telling me to use that as an opportunity to tell them that they are following a false god.
Glad you can see it. Took me much longer. The problem I had was that I believed they had the right of it. Better off to assume they are liars, reject it all and start over. Satanic things are detected with lies nearly always. Finding the truth about anything is more difficult than you would believe. It hits politics, religion, medicine and nutrients as well. Science is always seeking to learn new things and as such has made many mistakes in the past. It is a journey in the end. Our politics seem to be stagnant. The 2016 election neither party had an new idea but went to the rails. It is all about winning elections not about caring for anyone or facts!!! This will be changing. You can sense it.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

This is strange. To be honest, I don't think I have ever heard of a situation where someone stopped attending a cOC and didn't hear a peep from anyone. Shit, I got hounded day and night even when I was still attending. If I missed a service here or there (and I rarely ever missed) my phone blew up something fierce.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:This is strange. To be honest, I don't think I have ever heard of a situation where someone stopped attending a cOC and didn't hear a peep from anyone. Shit, I got hounded day and night even when I was still attending. If I missed a service here or there (and I rarely ever missed) my phone blew up something fierce.
I know quite a few C of Cs that are like that. Miss one service, and they're on it immediately. "Where WERE you?'
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

kneedeep wrote:Shane, I'd be interested in that book if you could find it. Apparently I spoke too soon. One member texted me last week. Today an elder was checking on my whereabouts. Basically told him I'm trying to figure things. He said I was welcome to meet with the elders at anytime to talk. I'm not ready to talk about it except to the people who have left.
Edit: I missed a couple of words the first time.

Jeff VanVonderen. Tired of Trying to Measure Up. Bethany House Publishers: 1989.
Last edited by Shane R on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Shane R wrote:. Trying to Measure Up. Bethany House Publishers: 1989.
Adding to my list!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Don't meet with the elders, kneedeep!!!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Ivy wrote:Don't meet with the elders, kneedeep!!!!
Yeah, about that... The elders tried to schedule a home visit with me this week. I turned it down and instead sent them a letter explaining that I am no longer a Christian. I also told them to withdraw my membership. So far they haven't responded. I'm waiting to see what they are going to do.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Religious Trauma Syndrome is a real thing. People attempting to leave dogmatic fundamentalist versions of religion often suffer some form of emotional trauma. Changing to a less dogmatic version of religion is less traumatic than leaving religion altogether.

It usually takes years to leave religion altogether (to deconvert) and that is when Religious Trauma Syndrome often comes into play. That is why some believe fundamentalist versions of a religion have characteristics of a cult. It is difficult to get away from them and there is almost always a great deal of emotional trauma involved in the process.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Its a process that's for sure. I've been feeling this way for a while but didn't tell anyone. De-converting has been strictly solo for me. It also produced much anxiety. Its a fear of diminishing important relationships, isolation, and possibly being wrong about the whole thing. I have some mixed feeling about telling my mom. She's been very understanding so far. There are more people in my circle I need to tell and will do it when ready. Also, I have a therapist to discuss these things with. Despite the emotional trauma it may cause, I can't just willy-nilly go back to believing in Christianity right now. Who knows, perhaps with more research, I'll be singing a different tune in 5 years. If I do, it will NOT be with the COC.