COC Songs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
catlady

Re: COC Songs

Post by catlady »

lvmaus wrote:
Struggler wrote:I think SS changed "When we all get to heaven" to "When the saved get to heaven". Anyone have a copy of SS handy to check that out?
The SS has definitely changed the wording to ... When the SAVED get to Heaven.
I had absolutely no idea that When the Saved Get to Heaven wasn't the original title/lyric!
musicman

Post by musicman »

[quote]It's so ridiculous how the coc splits hairs over lyrics. But what many of them don't realize is that a lot of the songs they sing are written by people from the "denominations"[quote]

So true! We sang songs/hymns by Fanny Crosby, Isaac Watts, etc. in C o C. According to C o C teaching these folks are in Hell because they weren't in "THE CHURCH."

Just another example of C o C inconsistency.
Lev

Post by Lev »

musicman wrote:So true! We sang songs/hymns by Fanny Crosby, Isaac Watts, etc. in C o C. According to C o C teaching these folks are in Hell because they weren't in "THE CHURCH."

Just another example of C o C inconsistency.
Many COC preachers use CS Lewis, either by direct quote or through the shaping of their arguments. They often don't stop to consider that Lewis was: Anglican, married to a divorced woman, sympathetic toward homosexuals, British, and wrote the manuscripts for many of his books in a pub while enjoying a pint. The way I've seen COC preachers get around this with Lewis (and nearly any other non-COCer who publishes stuff that's worth citing in a sermon) is to prelude the quote with something like, "Now I don't agree with everything CS Lewis wrote, said, or did, but he makes a good point in The Screwtape Letters when he says..." For Pete's sake just quote the man and get on with it. We don't need a disclaimer every time. Nobody does this in real life. If I had to disavow Shakespeare every time I used one of the silly cliches that came from his plays I'd just abandon him altogether.

Lev
FCOCER

Post by FCOCER »

I knew someone that objected to I've Got a Mansion(s) line "and walk the streets that are purest gold" because the description of heaven in the NT only mentions one street. This person had a very loud voice and would belt out "and walk the STREET that IS purest gold." :roll:
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

FCOCER wrote:I knew someone that objected to I've Got a Mansion(s) line "and walk the streets that are purest gold" because the description of heaven in the NT only mentions one street. This person had a very loud voice and would belt out "and walk the STREET that IS purest gold." :roll:
A hardcore, ultra conservative, legalistic, Pharisaical nit picker comes to mind!
Unity in diversity
Lev

Post by Lev »

FCOCER wrote:I knew someone that objected to I've Got a Mansion(s) line "and walk the streets that are purest gold" because the description of heaven in the NT only mentions one street. This person had a very loud voice and would belt out "and walk the STREET that IS purest gold." :roll:
I objected to "I've got a Mansion" because of its rejection of poverty in favor of overt materialism. Maybe that's just me.

Lev
musicman

Post by musicman »

There are MANY songs in its songbooks which C o C can't logically sing because they run counter to C o C doctrine.

"To the Work" is one example.A couple of places the song says "salvation is free." Those of us who grew up or spent time in C o C know that it certainly does NOT teach that "salvation is free." All C o C statements to the contrary, one must earn salvation by his/her own good works.

Another is "let the water and the blood, from Thy wounded side flowed"("Rock of Ages.". C o C certainly doesn't believe that the blood of Christ is the "cure" for sin. The only water about which it cares is that in the baptistry.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Why do we have to walk in the streets in Heaven? Are there no sidewalks? Is there no transportation?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

klp wrote:Why do we have to walk in the streets in Heaven? Are there no sidewalks? Is there no transportation?
I want angel wings!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.