COC Songs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

COC Songs

Post by Moogy »

I have a spouse who also left the COC (at the same time, 30+ years ago). One of the joys of our shared history is the wealth of songs we have memorized. There is a song for every occasion, and while we never sing the entire song, we often snarkily refer to snippets.

A car wandering out of the highway lane=Drifting along, drifting along
A beautiful blue sky=Oh, they tell me of an unclouded day
Cop running radar=There's an eye, watching you

Moogy
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Lev

Re: COC Songs

Post by Lev »

Moogy wrote:There's an eye, watching you
I've only heard of this song through references on this board (and its predecessors). Sounds absolutely awful. Like Jeremy Bentham's "panopticon."

Lev
ena

Post by ena »

Lev wrote: Sounds absolutely awful. Like Jeremy Bentham's "panopticon."
Lev
Bentham sound quite unusual especially his auto-icon. He had his body preserved and on display. The head has been replaced by an artist's sculpture as the original is disgusting.. He sits in this wooden case visible. He is listed at meetings as present but not voting. It's a British thing. I hope he isn't present for dinner. I'd lose it. :lol:
JKendallDane

Post by JKendallDane »

I will probably go to hell for even thinking like this, but I can't help it because it is just funny to me.

I used to decorate for Halloween, even going so far one year to have an actual hearse parked in my front yard with a casket spilling out of the back and a body rising up from it.

I sooooo wanted to have a recording of the congregation I grew up in singing "Up From the Grave He Arose" to play in the background. It still amazes me to this day how 500 people could make that song come across as part of a soundtrack for a Stephen King movie. :roll:
God gave us dogs so we would understand love, and then gave us cats so we could comprehend serving others.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

JKendallDane wrote:
It still amazes me to this day how 500 people could make that song come across as part of a soundtrack for a Stephen King movie. :roll:

This is the damn funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time!!! I LOVE it!!!
JKendallDane

Post by JKendallDane »

What's truly sad is I'm being serious...and not just about that one song. Even with five hundred voices pitching in, the singing parts of our services all came across like you were at a funeral.

We just never seemed to be able to get the "joyful" part of "making a joyful noise" down right. :roll:
God gave us dogs so we would understand love, and then gave us cats so we could comprehend serving others.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

zeek wrote:
We just never seemed to be able to get the "joyful" part of "making a joyful noise" down right.
This is so true. I used to cringe everytime anyone would lead "We're Marching to Zion". The way it is sung it should be "We're Crawling to Zion...and We're Never Gonna Get There". CoC can turn any song, no matter the tempo, into a funeral dirge. The only exception I ever experienced to this was at the county's one African American congregation; now, they made a joyful noise when they sang.
Crawling to Zion. HAHAHHAAHHAHA! That's exactly how it is. It's not surprising that the singing is so lifeless and joyless when the central ethos of the COC is that emotions and emotionalism are to be feared and suppressed. How can people that repressed possibly summon up any joy for their singing?
I know a little about a lot of things...just enough to make me dangerous.
http://normalisnotanoption.blogspot.com
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Y'all.....do you remember how "they", not sure who in the "brotherhood", decided that a line in "He Arose" was
unscriptural??

He arose a victor from the dark do-main
And he lives forever with his saints to reign

was changed to:

And he lives for-ever, death he over-came.

This was changed because someone got a bee in the bonnet
that Jesus wouldn't reign with the saints and it was unscriptural to
sing that phrase.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

From a toddlers understanding: "Low in the grave he lay" was: "Low in the gravy lay."

Maybe Swedish meatballs for dinner.