c of C doctrines and beliefs I didn't agree with

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: c of C doctrines and beliefs I didn't agree with

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:In theory, other dimensions exists but our brains are not capable of processing their existence. Since that theory has some possibility of being scientifically true, I can accept it as “possible, but as yet unproven.”
Good answer, Cootie. :)
Cootie Brown wrote: am guilty of a multitude of sins but tobacco, smoking, and drugs are not on that list.
Sinful? As an atheist, I would assume you would have tossed the concept of "sin". Perhaps you said that tongue in cheek.

***I don't consider it anywhere near "sinful" for an aboriginal person to use plants for their
religious services. They are practicing their faith.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
Sinful? As an atheist, I would assume you would have tossed the concept of "sin". Perhaps you said that tongue in cheek.
Ya got me. Old habits are hard to break. You are correct. I am convinced the concept of “sin” only exist in the religious world. It is not possible for an atheists to sin. It is possible for an atheist to break the law & consequently be held responsible for their actions.

The church, however, has no power or authority to punish an atheists for transgressing some religious law, rule,or command. And since atheists don’t believe there is such a thing as a “god” they don’t fear something they are convinced doesn’t actually exist.

You are very sharp Ivy, I’ve got to watch my P’s & Q’s when posting to you. ;)
GraceFaith

Post by GraceFaith »

Ivy wrote:One of the main doctrines that I did not agree with is that religious non-cofc people are "not christians", "not saved", etc; only cofc people were christians. The arrogance of it was appalling to me.

This.
My husband once asked his mom, "Do you really think that anyone baptized for the remission of their sins is going to hell simply because they aren't in the church of Christ?"
She wouldn't answer that.
So he reworded his question.
Husband: "Can people who don't go to the church of Christ be baptized for the right reasons?"
MIL: "Sure they can."
H: "Okay... So, there are possibly people out there who don't go to the church of Christ, but they're saved?"
MIL: -crickets-
She couldn't get herself to admit that ANYONE outside of the coC can possibly make it to heaven.

It's both maddening and so sad.
The pride within the coC is astounding. So many of them are basically Pharisees!

An elder at the church we recently left, when we told the elders we were leaving, he said, "Well, I don't know why you want to leave. You're not going to get better sermons than ______ preaches." And then he made the comment that, "There's not another sound church within a hundred miles of here."
Are you kidding me?! We were accused of having pride (one of the reasons they shunned us), but THEY aren't proud?

Mind boggling.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

GraceFaith wrote:
Ivy wrote:One of the main doctrines that I did not agree with is that religious non-cofc people are "not christians", "not saved", etc; only cofc people were christians. The arrogance of it was appalling to me.

This.
My husband once asked his mom, "Do you really think that anyone baptized for the remission of their sins is going to hell simply because they aren't in the church of Christ?"
Husband: "Can people who don't go to the church of Christ be baptized for the right reasons?"
H: "Okay... So, there are possibly people out there who don't go to the church of Christ, but they're saved?"
She couldn't get herself to admit that ANYONE outside of the coC can possibly make it to heaven.

The pride within the coC is astounding. So many of them are basically Pharisees!

Oh yeah, both "P" words -- "pride" and "pharisaical" -- definitely apply, here!
An elder at the church we recently left, when we told the elders we were leaving, he said, "Well, I don't know why you want to leave. You're not going to get better sermons than ______ preaches." And then he made the comment that, "There's not another sound church within a hundred miles of here."
Are you kidding me?! We were accused of having pride (one of the reasons they shunned us), but THEY aren't proud?

Mind boggling.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

GraceFaith wrote:

This.

Mind boggling.
The reason c of C people believe the things they do. The polite term is indoctrination. The not so polite term is brainwashing, and for c of C families this begins almost from birth. That is also true for virtually all religions, because their survival depends on birthing future generations. Baptizing unbelievers into Christ represents a small percentage of the membership in all versions of Christianity.

I recently read that 35-40% of any religions membership must come from children of adult members for their long term survival. The c of C has only 3-5% of their current members in that required demographic.

Their long term survival is obviously at risk.
ena

Post by ena »

Also inaccurate. Jesus decides not the CoC. You could follow exactly the CoC partyline and still not be saved! Being proud that you are going to heaven because of a better baptism misses the mark and everyone else is going to Hell. They simply are not perceptive enough to judge anyone. Jesus made this point about removing the spec while you are blinded with a beam.
ena

Post by ena »

Cootie Brown wrote: Their long term survival is obviously at risk.
I am not going the hold my breath over it. It simply does not matter. There are many sects that no longer exist that considered themselves to have the truth. How many Gnostics do you know. The word is a umbrella term for many distinct groups.
Would Christianity notice the loss? I would not care.
ena

Post by ena »

GraceFaith wrote: The pride within the coC is astounding. So many of them are basically Pharisees!

I have found better sermons on youtube. Congratulations on leaving the insane world of the CoC. Ever notice how everything has a backhanded condemnation. They even slice and dice the NT so they use verses with a backhanded condemnation. They dwell on those to the exclusion of anything positive. Look for demons hanging from the sign out front.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

In order for the doctrine of substitutionary atonement to be true then Genesis Chapters 1 & 2 must be historically accurate and literally true. Actually, in order for Jesus to be relevant, Genesis Chapters 1 & 2 must be historically accurate and literally true.

In order for the book of Genesis to be historically accurate & literally true the laws of science, math, cosmology & physics, as mankind presently knows and understands them, must be false as well as present day logic, reason, and common sense since they are based mostly on our accumulated scientific knowledge.

In other words all of the accumulated scientific knowledge of mankind must be false in order to make the Bible true and relevant. Faith must supersede the laws of science, physics, and cosmology. If that is true then why are we allowing universities to teach science, physics, and cosmology to our children, when all they really need is to study the Bible?

I think I just heard a chorus of “A Men’s” from the religious fundamentalist contingent. :lol: