Texas Monthly Magazine bum steer awards

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Sean

Re: Texas Monthly Magazine bum steer awards

Post by Sean »

Ivy wrote:
Moogy wrote:
Sean wrote:Again, I don't know anyone who is in favor of ABUSING children or slaves. But that is just me, seemingly others here know people who are in favor of ABUSING children or slaves. Nothing much surprises me anymore.
But someone must be in favor of this abuse, since it happens all over the world—children are abused by relatives, women and children are forced into prostitution, becoming slaves in reality even if their abusers do not use that word. I hope I don’t personally know any of those people who approve of such abuse.
Moogy is right. And I would also include in that the corporations who turn their heads away from the sweat shops in third world countries which still utilize child labor and allow unsafe conditions. No, I do not know anyone personally who advocates that....but there are some large corporations who tacitly advocate it with their silence.
Well actually it doesn't stop with the corporations but with the customers who continue to buy their products. Because if they didn't have customers these corporations would not be doing it. Those corporation people are the worst ;)
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Sean wrote: Well actually it doesn't stop with the corporations but with the customers who continue to buy their products. Because if they didn't have customers these corporations would not be doing it.
True. I often wonder if inexpensive items I buy at WalMart, Target, Amazon, etc. are produced ethically. I really don’t know how to find out. I have tried to find items made in the U.S., without much success. Even if the final product is made in the U.S., component parts may be made elsewhere. Then there is the problem that U.S. companies do not treat their employees properly. But at least they don’t put young children in sweatshops.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:
Sean wrote: Well actually it doesn't stop with the corporations but with the customers who continue to buy their products. Because if they didn't have customers these corporations would not be doing it.
True. I often wonder if inexpensive items I buy at WalMart, Target, Amazon, etc. are produced ethically. I really don’t know how to find out. I have tried to find items made in the U.S., without much success. Even if the final product is made in the U.S., component parts may be made elsewhere. Then there is the problem that U.S. companies do not treat their employees properly. But at least they don’t put young children in sweatshops.
There were probably children in sweatshops at some of the factories in developing countries, where, for example, the fabric for an item was made, or a piece in the machinery of an item, that ends up on the shelves of Walmart and every store we know.

h**ps://cleanclothes.org

h**ps://cleanclothes.org/resources/useful-links
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Moogy wrote:
I buy all my clothing second hand. That doesn't necessarily solve the problem but it helps. There is too much clothing being mass produced all over the world, lots of it winds up in landfills. I don't want to contribute to the new clothing and fast fashion industry. Nobody knows that my clothing is second hand or where it came from. They have no idea.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:I buy all my clothing second hand. That doesn't necessarily solve the problem but it helps. There is too much clothing being mass produced all over the world, lots of it winds up in landfills. I don't want to contribute to the new clothing and fast fashion industry. Nobody knows that my clothing is second hand or where it came from. They have no idea.
Kudos...smart!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~