Texas Monthly Magazine bum steer awards

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
FCOCER

Texas Monthly Magazine bum steer awards

Post by FCOCER »

The latest edition of TM came out and a coC made the Bum Steer list. They had a gospel meeting with the subject being dangerous isms. Included in the list were Islamism and Judaism. Left out of the list was racism.
agricola

Re: Texas Monthly Magazine bum steer awards

Post by agricola »

I don't think 'islamism' is actually a thing.

I can't say I'm astonished though, that a coc would publish such a thing.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FCOCER wrote:The latest edition of TM came out and a coC made the Bum Steer list. .
Who was it?
FCOCER

Post by FCOCER »

faithfyl wrote:
FCOCER wrote:The latest edition of TM came out and a coC made the Bum Steer list. .
Who was it?
Greenville Avenue coC in Richardson.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FCOCER wrote:The latest edition of TM came out and a coC made the Bum Steer list. They had a gospel meeting with the subject being dangerous isms. Included in the list were Islamism and Judaism. Left out of the list was racism.
Congrats to them for making the Texas Monthly. That's big!! :lol:

I can think of several more that I bet they left off the "ism" list:

dogmatism
narcissism
fanaticism
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

This is awesome! And to think I just dropped my subscription.

My dad subscribed to TM from the very first issue. He didn't keep it more than 5 or 6 years, as I recall, but I've subscribed off and on through the years.

I remember after Jimmy Carter was elected that they ran an issue advising Texans how to be Southern. It was hilarious!
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FCOCER wrote:
faithfyl wrote:
Who was it?
Greenville Avenue coC in Richardson.
Without even googling that, I already know what that one is about.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Ivy wrote:
FCOCER wrote:The latest edition of TM came out and a coC made the Bum Steer list. They had a gospel meeting with the subject being dangerous isms. Included in the list were Islamism and Judaism. Left out of the list was racism.
Congrats to them for making the Texas Monthly. That's big!! :lol:

I can think of several more that I bet they left off the "ism" list:

dogmatism
narcissism
fanaticism
Campbellism :P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I think it will be a cold day in hell when the C of C addresses the problem of racism in society.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

faithfyl wrote:I think it will be a cold day in hell when the C of C addresses the problem of racism in society.
Sadly I think I agree with that because rarely does the CoC speak as a group.

Individually members have made efforts but where I live there are some that still argue the state's rights issue was the core cause of the civil war in spite of the facts that most states expressly, Texas was one, offered up slavery as a primary objective of secession. It was written directly in to the state constitutions! Just because a state has 10th amendment authority does not give it the right to enslave someone else and violate the primary right of an individual to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Never understood how a "christian" could argue such positions.