scrupulosity

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

scrupulosity

Post by agricola »

Do fundamentalist churches (and other faiths with similar issues about 'belief') ATTRACT people prone to OCD or do they PROMOTE this attitude among people who - in a different setting - might never reach the point of symptoms?

h**ps://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/trigger ... rupulosity
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Re: scrupulosity

Post by Ivy »

I have often wondered the same thing. It's a "chicken or egg" situation.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

OCD and narcissism is certainly prevalent in these groups, especially the ones in ministry and leadership. OCD people definitely desire order, laws, and rules in their lives.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I tend to think that people just kind of 'self sort' and people in coc's that buy into that sort of behavior stay, while more normal (mentally healthy) people drift away. I hope.
I realize, of course, that I (by thinking that way) place myself in the 'mentally healthy' bunch, and believe you me, after 20-odd years born and raised in the coc, I was and am a very long way from 'mentally healthy'.
So maybe I'm wrong about the self-sorting bit.

I'm over-anxious, have a lot of hangups about critical things like sex and self-esteem (as in, having very little), but I don't THINK I'm exactly OCD. Quite. Probably not.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.