Stock answers of the CoC

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
no-cults-4-me

Stock answers of the CoC

Post by no-cults-4-me »

The CoC had some real dandy answers to important questions. I was wondering why CoC membership numbers were kind of static and that CoC congregations weren't more widespread. The answer was (of course), 'Very few people want to hear the truth'.
I couldn't bear to think that the folks in all the other denominations were on a well buttered slide into the pits of hell. I brought up the scripture that says that there is no condemnation for those in Christ. Of course the CoC answer was, 'Those people in the denominations aren't in Christ.
And when you have a problem, it's caused by some sin that you're committing and that if you were more spiritual, you wouldn't have this problem.
What a bunch of operators! Very clever lines.
Cootie Brown

Re: Stock answers of the CoC

Post by Cootie Brown »

Political and religious beliefs are heavily influenced by emotion, rather than evidence that has been authenticated by a recognized reliable source.

Defense attorneys are experts when it comes to parsing and manipulating words. That is sometimes all they have to obtain a favorable verdict for their clients.

Apologist find themselves in the same position. They do not possess anything that would meet the judicial standard for admitted evidence. Since they have no evidence to validate their argument, they must resort to parsing and manipulating worlds along with unique ways of “interpreting” scripture.

Without any valid evidence apologist are forced to prey on people’s emotions in order to obtain agreement with their arguments. That is why every religious group has their “own” apologist and it’s their job to validate the group they represent as the correct version of Christianity. The ones that are “ correctly” interpreting scripture and the group that has the correct doctrines, beliefs, and teachings. That means all other groups and versions of Christianity are wrong and that makes them subject to eternal damnation.

There is, of course, no actual evidence that proves any groups beliefs, doctrines, teachings, and interpretations are true.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The bible speaks of blasphemy against the holy ghost. Blasphemy is not just saying something verbal but also wilfully being rebellious you xan become so set in rebellion you cannot change. I think many of the coc are actually in this state spiritually. They may not have said what the Pharisees said about jesus but they act the same way when the errors andbad logic held by ttheir beloved church is pointed out I think some are so hardened in their sin of loving their church over truth they kinda blasphemedthe holy ghost in a way different than the pharisees.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

I am sure there is a long list of things that contribute to the decline and lack of popularity.
And when you have a problem, it's caused by some sin that you're committing and that if you were more spiritual, you wouldn't have this problem.
This comment (that the CoC makes) I found quite stupid and totally irrational, especially when discussing the various "bible believing" denominations and the different varieties of CoC. The premise among most protestant and reformed denominations is that all you have to do is have an open heart, a desire for truth and the bible/HS will teach or reveal the truth. The CoC takes it to another level and includes sincerity thus giving them the tools or ammunition to impugn without condemnation the motives of any and all that have a different view from them because they must lack sincerity. I know that accusation well, I'm insincere and not committed.

At least the majority of the mainline protestant churches seem to be able to agree to disagree by the slogan of all roads lead to God.

Great points BH, and I would add the comment about whited tombs but full of dry bones.
julia_c247

Post by julia_c247 »

gordie91 wrote:At least the majority of the mainline protestant churches seem to be able to agree to disagree by the slogan of all roads lead to God.
I was amazed at how most denominations agree to disagree. I assumed that they all were like the CoC, in that they all believed they had the truth and if you weren't apart, you weren't saved. I was shocked to see that most of the churches didn't spend their time bashing other denominations or being obsessed with debating theological questions such as baptism.
ena

Post by ena »

julia_c247 wrote:
gordie91 wrote:At least the majority of the mainline protestant churches seem to be able to agree to disagree by the slogan of all roads lead to God.
I was amazed at how most denominations agree to disagree. I assumed that they all were like the CoC, in that they all believed they had the truth and if you weren't apart, you weren't saved. I was shocked to see that most of the churches didn't spend their time bashing other denominations or being obsessed with debating theological questions such as baptism.
There are differences in baptism methods and ones that have changed over time. You are right in the observation that they do not bash others as much. What the point of doing that? The CoC is very competitive in thinking it has the only right way. But do they? I think there is more than one way of understanding things. As such Alexander Campbell was wrong that Christians could come to a common understanding of the Bible. What is Jesus concerned with? Attitude. What is the attitude in the CoC? Hateful! Where is that from? Satan. It's a short put. The Coc is paranoid about their own salvation. They should be. They frantically flail about as they drown in their own sin. I've been there done that. Then they wonder why? The over focus on sin is paranoia driven. Lose the paranoia then sin can be acknowledged and dealt with. This can take many years to realize that God is not concerned with sin as much as defiance. Humans sin all the time. The problem comes when you cannot acknowledge that you are not perfect. Sounds trite but is not. Many in the CoC think they are sin free when they toe the party line. That is pharisee ism at its worst and a sin as well. Enjoyed your comment.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

ena wrote:
julia_c247 wrote:
There are differences in baptism methods and ones that have changed over time. You are right in the observation that they do not bash others as much. What the point of doing that? The CoC is very competitive in thinking it has the only right way. But do they? I think there is more than one way of understanding things. As such Alexander Campbell was wrong that Christians could come to a common understanding of the Bible. What is Jesus concerned with? Attitude. What is the attitude in the CoC? Hateful! Where is that from? Satan. It's a short put. The Coc is paranoid about their own salvation. They should be. They frantically flail about as they drown in their own sin. I've been there done that. Then they wonder why? The over focus on sin is paranoia driven. Lose the paranoia then sin can be acknowledged and dealt with. This can take many years to realize that God is not concerned with sin as much as defiance. Humans sin all the time. The problem comes when you cannot acknowledge that you are not perfect. Sounds trite but is not. Many in the CoC think they are sin free when they toe the party line. That is pharisee ism at its worst and a sin as well. Enjoyed your comment.
Hi ena,

I don't post here anymore, but do read from time to time and simply felt like I had to tell you how profound and "right on" these thoughts of yours are in my opinion. The whole point is that we could not possibly attain sinlessness on our own, that is, via our own efforts, hence the whole purpose of the gospel in trying to educate us through very thickened skulls to give it all up and rest in the sinlessness of Another. One side of the coin is man's sinfulness, the other is man's self-righteousness (or Phariseeism as you say). The CofC to me was as you said paranoid in dealing only with the sinfulness side of that coin, and really was completely blind IMO about that other side of the coin, being seeped in it themselves.

When you say it is not trite, I give you a great "Amen" shout out. For as believers, we will fight with sin the rest of our lives, but through a life of faith which is focused on the state of our hearts, i.e., our attitudes, we can rest our wearied, sorry selves' dutiful attempts to be sinless, for one thing is guaranteed: those attempts will always fail. There is such a great difference between the obedience of faith and the obedience of acts. It seems God was consistent throughout the Bible in trying to focus man on his own dreadfully deceitful heart from which his sick attitudes spring forth, yet time after time the Bible shouts out man's own relentless self-righteousness/self-glory in blocking that communication from getting through. So, if that communication is never received, then how much more difficult would it be to even begin to understand that our sins are now covered? I would not suggest that anyone ask a CofC zealot the answer to that question.

To me, the frightful condition of/concept of man's heart was never the focus of nor addressed by the CofC, yet is really the center of our walk in faith, that is, to be cognizant of our own hearts, asking God to renew our hearts constantly (guard our hearts) and to increase our faith through the Holy Spirit, that we might be ever mindful of our attitudes, the underlying state of our hearts, and the lethal acts that can potentially result from them (and that still do result from them) in our fallen state of humanity. That is my perspective, anyway, and it seems not too different from yours. Anyway, many blessings to you, ena.