CoC congregational splits

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
FCOCER

Re: CoC congregational splits

Post by FCOCER »

I know someone whose hair stylist was talking about his Catholic church losing people over some issue. She invited him to come to the coC, because "you will not have those kinds of problems there." I wanted to ask, "WHERE THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEN?" It has been my experience fights and splits and moving membership to other congregations is the norm in the coC.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FCOCER wrote: She invited him to come to the coC, because "you will not have those kinds of problems there."
That is hilarious!! :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

B.H. wrote:Does a tornado hitting the building and splitting it in half count as a church split.
:lol:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

gordie91 wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:From all I have read on here, the NI people are a lot more dysfunctional.
Dysfunctional is an appropriate term. In my area there are serial splitters. One guy and his family have been to and or started NI CoC's all over the area. It is like he and his family are never happy or satisfied. This guy is friendly and doesn't tick off too many with angry words, just mobile.
I find it odd when someone changes churches all the time.

My old C of C church grew in leaps and bounds because, in my opinion, there were a lot of wealthy congregation members and people found out about it, they'd go there to be around these folks, network for jobs, etc. Saw it time and time again. They elbowed out poorer, less successful members. The first question a newcomer was asked was: What do you do for a living? There was also an ACU alumni clique there, it grew and grew. It was even a common complaint: "I didn't attend ACU so I don't feel accepted here." The ACU group was oblivious to it. I even looked at the church roster - this is 20 years later, and most of the church staff are ACU graduates.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

So funny, faithfyl, Monday another serial mover sent me a message in facebook. She is older and her husband has suffered some health setbacks so he is not as sharp as he once was, I am the same age as their son and casually knew him back in the day.

Anyways, I don't think she knows I'm not in the fold anymore and she invited me to ... you guessed it! Their new church that just started. In her opening message she referenced that they were not able to go along with the last congregation so they decided to "do it better" (my interpretation). I never knew them to be mean spirited people, opinionated but not harsh people. I did however, think it strange that she had to tell me that they didn't like the direction of the old church, which is where my family are currently members.

Oh well, I didn't tell her about my departure from the true faith just asked about her son. He is the preacher now because he is such a good speaker, her words, I always thought of smarmy televangelist when I heard him speak. Oh well, another church in an area that already has about 10 in a 30 mile radius. My wife wondered if these folk could just get together how big and impressive it would be here. Oh well, if you think its broke-see if you can do better especially if your son is a good speaker. :D
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Sometimes "serial movers" try to get everyone to join them in leaving a church. I've experienced that. I'm just like, if they've had issues at that church, I'm sorry. But those are not my issues. I even had a woman approach me at the grocery store a few years ago, tell me she knew me from church and then went on a spiel about how "wounded" her and her husband were, so they left. She wanted me to say bad stuff about the church too, I didn't have much to say. If I felt the same way, sure, I'd commiserate with her, but I just don't.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

faithfyl wrote:
gordie91 wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:From all I have read on here, the NI people are a lot more dysfunctional.
Dysfunctional is an appropriate term. In my area there are serial splitters. One guy and his family have been to and or started NI CoC's all over the area. It is like he and his family are never happy or satisfied. This guy is friendly and doesn't tick off too many with angry words, just mobile.
I find it odd when someone changes churches all the time.

My old C of C church grew in leaps and bounds because, in my opinion, there were a lot of wealthy congregation members and people found out about it, they'd go there to be around these folks, network for jobs, etc. Saw it time and time again. They elbowed out poorer, less successful members. The first question a newcomer was asked was: What do you do for a living? There was also an ACU alumni clique there, it grew and grew. It was even a common complaint: "I didn't attend ACU so I don't feel accepted here." The ACU group was oblivious to it. I even looked at the church roster - this is 20 years later, and most of the church staff are ACU graduates.
I know a lot of people who do that. They seem to go to whichever one suits them at the moment. I figure it's their business.