"Traces of the Kingdom" Refutation project

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Walkingfreely

"Traces of the Kingdom" Refutation project

Post by Walkingfreely »

Hello all,
Since leaving the COC I have had many debates with people about the COC being the "one true church."
I have been studying and learning a lot about the history of our past group, but one thing seems to show up a lot.
COC apologists will reference a work by Keith Sisman called "Traces of the Kingdom" that they think "PROVES" the COC can be traced right back to the New Testament.

I have read and am researching this 3 volume set and to say it is filled with error and presupposition is an understatement.
I am working on a multi-part refutation series because it seems not many have taken to refute this (probably because in many cases it seems like it is not worth it).

I am providing a link below to the first installment so that anyone who encounters people who reference this book volume can have the tools to refute it.
It seems like anytime someone brings up "Traces of the Kingdom" they feel like they have a checkmate and can walk away...not really...

Anyway - I hope it helps those who are trying to lift the scales off the eyes of former brethren.
The link is below. If you have any historical or literary criticism or information to help it is always welcomed. Email me in the link provided in the blog.
All the best,

https://rockinmyshoestoneinmypath.wordp ... roduction/
Opie

Re: "Traces of the Kingdom" Refutation project

Post by Opie »

Glad that you are taking the time to refute some of the fairy tales that the CoC has come up with, Walker. I think they are so insecure that they latch on to books like Sisman's in a misguided effort to make themselves appear to be legitimate. This is some very good material that you've produced. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to work on it.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Walkingfreely

Post by Walkingfreely »

I appreciate that friend. The next part is coming soon. They operate in fairy tales for sure.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I have read over that sight before and it is a train wreck. I researched some of the supposed coc's and their preachers. In many cases they left records of sermons and so forth and most seemed to n e to hold doctrines found in a Baptist Church today.

I had one coc on Petros' s blog claim that Clement author of l Clement was a church of christ preacher. I asked him to give me an example of a coc preacher in the second century and he gave me Clement. Oh lord help me. Clement quote the Catholic apocryphal as scripture and told a rebellious church to obey not its bishops but its local bishop. Needless to say the Coc preacher has not been seen from or heard from since on the blog.

People need to understand you cant just pull stuff out of their butt and get away with it anymore.

One time years ago someone claimed a certain Catholic writer in the middle ages was church of christ because he called the church of he church of christ. I look the guys writings up online and one of his books was written and dedicated to the pope living at the time. I know lots of coc members and preachers are just dumb but that took the cake. I look very closely at any historical claim and often call bullshit on it.

One whammy was one preacher was saying Campbell didnt start the coc or the restoration movement but some guy named O' Kelley started it about twenty years before and then goes ho hum shows you critic. Well bless that preachers heart because Kelly didnt baptize like the coc did
Last edited by B.H. on Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Walkingfreely, are you a member of any church now?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Here is the big question. When does it stop being honest mistakes and is willful deception
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:I have read over that sight before and it is a train wreck. I researched some of the supposed coc's and their preachers. In many cases they left records of sermons and so forth and most seemed to n e to hold doctrines found in a Baptist Church today.

I had one coc on Petros' s blog claim that Clement author of l Clement was a church of christ preacher. I asked him to give me an example of a coc preacher in the second century and he gave me Clement. Oh lord help me. Clement quote the Catholic apocryphal as scripture and told a rebellious church to obey not its bishops but its local bishop. Needless to say the Coc preacher has not been seen from or heard from since on the blog.

People need to understand you cant just pull stuff out of their butt and get away with it anymore.

One time years ago someone claimed a certain Catholic writer in the middle ages was church of christ because he called the church of he church of christ. I look the guys writings up online and one of his books was written and dedicated to the pope living at the time. I know lots of coc members and preachers are just dumb but that took the cake. I look very closely at any historical claim and often call bullshit on it.

One whammy was one preacher was saying Campbell didnt start the coc or the restoration movement but some guy named O' Kelley started it about twenty years before and then goes ho hum shows you critic. Well bless that preachers heart because Kelly didnt baptize like the coc did
Oh, my goodness BH you just about made me spew my coffee all over my keyboard!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's right....now we have the world wide web....the mega version of Snopes for the cofc. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BH, they must make this stuff up / disseminate it in those preaching schools.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Walkingfreely

Post by Walkingfreely »

Yes - I am a member of a bible church - baptistic in theology.
So much happier and free in Christ.

Yes BH - they rewrite history hoping you won’t research their assertions

It is amazing
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If their lack of historical skill is so poor I doubt their actual biblical research is any better. They always argued that baptize always means to immerse but their is a verse in ben sirachm about being cleansed from touching a dead body that uses the greek baptizo for being sprinkled as cleansing or washed. Like I said I am beginning to think they are just wilful liars and like the pharisees have blasphemous the holy ghost in their own way. Blasphemy is not just verbal insult insult against the holy but wilful rebellion.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:willful liars
BH, I don't think it's willful. I think most of them try to be good, honest people.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~