Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by faithfyl »

What crazy or strange things have any C of C members judged you for that either didn't affect them at all, or weren't important? I just thought of a few things this morning, random things that I was judged for by other church members. Here's a short list but it's just a short one. Some of these people who judged were C of C and some were other denomination church folks 1) being on unemployment benefits 2) working in a restaurant/bar part time 3) living alone 4) wearing pants and boots to walk in the snow to church 5) talking to a member of the opposite sex after church in the building.
Ivy

Re: Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by Ivy »

Oh, my goodness!! Crazy list!!

I will have to think about this.

1) Wearing shorts in public.

2) Wearing a casual dress without a slip.

3) Visiting another denomination.

4) Visiting another cofc to check it out.

5) Remaining friends with an ex-member.

6) Dating a non-cofc man.

7) Missing church on vacation.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Among the highlights:

(1) Wearing shorts - not "modest" for men or women
(2) buying a raffle ticket - that's "gambling"
(3) participating in a cakewalk at a town festival - also "gambling"
(4) wearing flip-flops- only "hippies" or "homosexuals" wear them
(5) wearing an "usher" name tag - name tags not authorized in the NT, only "liberal" churches have ushers
(6) referring to the prayer at the end of a service as the benediction- "denominational," and it's not mentioned in the Bible
(7) having a female physician - "doctors are supposed to be men." Also criticized for not calling her the "lady doctor."
(8) wearing gloves in the winter - "men don't need gloves," and "the church will think you're fancy"
(9) eating more healthful foods - "you think you're too good to eat good ol' country cookin'"
(10) being adopted - "that's not God's way"
(11) winning an award for my work - "that's bragging" - (I didn't advertise I had won.) Also told it wasn't "helping spread the Gospel."
(12) losing a job in a staff blowout - "were you just not doing your job?"
(13) going to an art exhibit - "we just don't do things like that"
(14) not owning a gun (I support the right of people to have one or NOT to have one)
(15) not being into hunting or NASCAR
(16) not wanting to live in a rural area
(17) shopping at the "wrong" stores - includes grocery and department
(18) having friends who are not C of C
(19) eating at a Jewish delicatessen - the man asked, "Why must you eat with Jews?"
(20) not eating fast food - haven't figured out that one yet
(21) not wanting to preach
(22) not going to a C of C college - "you won't get a good (or real) education anywhere else"
(23) going to college at all - "th' Bible don't say nothin' about college"
(24) being friends with neighbors who drink beer
zeek

Post by zeek »

Not being married with children by age 30.

Reading from something other than a KJV Bible.

Not being able to show up for EVERY extra activity due to work schedules.

Not driving a new enough car. Christians should drive nice cars; otherwise we make it look like our God isn't a good provider...

Buying a NEW car. Buying new is a waste of money, should find a good used car instead....

Going too long between haircuts.

Saying Humble rather than dropping the H and saying Umble.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

zeek wrote: Saying Humble rather than dropping the H and saying Umble.
Umble sounds very old fashioned....they really pronounced it that way?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Struggler wrote:Among the highlights:

(1) Wearing shorts - not "modest" for men or women
(2) buying a raffle ticket - that's "gambling"
(3) participating in a cakewalk at a town festival - also "gambling"
(4) wearing flip-flops- only "hippies" or "homosexuals" wear them
(5) wearing an "usher" name tag - name tags not authorized in the NT, only "liberal" churches have ushers
(6) referring to the prayer at the end of a service as the benediction- "denominational," and it's not mentioned in the Bible
(7) having a female physician - "doctors are supposed to be men." Also criticized for not calling her the "lady doctor."
(8) wearing gloves in the winter - "men don't need gloves," and "the church will think you're fancy"
(9) eating more healthful foods - "you think you're too good to eat good ol' country cookin'"
(10) being adopted - "that's not God's way"
(11) winning an award for my work - "that's bragging" - (I didn't advertise I had won.) Also told it wasn't "helping spread the Gospel."
(12) losing a job in a staff blowout - "were you just not doing your job?"
(13) going to an art exhibit - "we just don't do things like that"
(14) not owning a gun (I support the right of people to have one or NOT to have one)
(15) not being into hunting or NASCAR
(16) not wanting to live in a rural area
(17) shopping at the "wrong" stores - includes grocery and department
(18) having friends who are not C of C
(19) eating at a Jewish delicatessen - the man asked, "Why must you eat with Jews?"
(20) not eating fast food - haven't figured out that one yet
(21) not wanting to preach
(22) not going to a C of C college - "you won't get a good (or real) education anywhere else"
(23) going to college at all - "th' Bible don't say nothin' about college"
(24) being friends with neighbors who drink beer
:lol: :lol: :lol: Those are some real classics. Sorry you endured that, Struggler. PKs always had it much harder than the rest of us.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Struggler wrote: (7) having a female physician - "doctors are supposed to be men." Also criticized for not calling her the "lady doctor."
I had a Christian friend who thought women should only have female doctors and having a male doctor was inappropriate. She would act shocked about women who had male ob/gyns. Literally shocked. She could scarcely contain her horror.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:
Struggler wrote: (7) having a female physician - "doctors are supposed to be men." Also criticized for not calling her the "lady doctor."
I had a Christian friend who thought women should only have female doctors and having a male doctor was inappropriate. She would act shocked about women who had male ob/gyns. Literally shocked. She could scarcely contain her horror.
Oh good grief!!! :roll:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

She also uses the term "lady doctor" which I find old fashioned and weird. A doctor is a doctor, not sure why gender matters. But she always winds up complaining about her doctors and it seems she only chooses them based on gender, rather than reading reviews or getting referrals from friends. I read doctor reviews online and looked at ratings before choosing the one I have now, because I'm picky about who does surgery on me.
zeek

Post by zeek »

faithfyl wrote:
zeek wrote: Saying Humble rather than dropping the H and saying Umble.
Umble sounds very old fashioned....they really pronounced it that way?
Oh, absolutely. If you pronounced it correctly sounding the H they would tell you "you are being uppity or pretentious".
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel