Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote:Of course it is doctrine but they never ascribe a source for it. They know it's not in the Bible but it is still wrong "just because it is".
I hear you. :)
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Coc members have their own itching ears.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Coc members have their own itching ears.
:lol:
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

1) Not being married with multiple children by age 25. And remember, you have to have multiple children, because having only one is "unfair" to the one. It's making them grow up all alone
2) Making too little money
3) Making too much money
4) Not working enough
5) Working way too much
6) Knowing absolutely anyone who is not cOC. Even your own family members. Well, a slight exception on family. You may associate with them because, well, you kind of have to, but you should limit your contact with them and never buy into anything they may be selling where religion (or lack thereof) is concerned. Side note-I limit my contact with my family anyway because with the exception of my nieces, the rest of them are human f**king garbage whom I hate more than anything, I and I actually pray for them to die, yes, they are that bad. But I digress
7) Not making it to services due to illness
8) Coming to services when I should have stayed home, because I may still be contagious
9) Having ever dated anyone, at any point in time throughout your life who was not or is not cOC
10) Still knowing ex-members who have "left the Lord". AKA- defected to a denomination
11) Failing to pull double or triple duty on a Sunday morning (scripture reading and Lord's table and lead singing, and opening and/or closing prayer)
12) Actually pulling double or triple duty on a Sunday morning because it's "not fair to the others who need the experience". Well, never mind the fact that the "others who need the experience" declined to do anything because they felt like they had not been living right and needed some time for introspection before assuming anymore duties. Or, put another way, they just didn't feel like it.
13) Looking like I had rushed to make it on time to services while old so and so over here is never late. Oh, well, it could have something to do with the fact that old so and so lives, literally, 7 feet from the church property. Once he opens his front door and hangs a slight left, he is in the church parking lot. So and so could not be late if he tried
14) Bringing something from the deli to the potluck. Everything is supposed to be homemade
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

One strike, you have definitely been through the cofc mill. Notice how there are so many ways you are "damned if you do, damned if you don't", yet you always have to be "correct". It's crazy making.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

Exactly, Ivy! It's like there is some sort of magical balance that certain cOC members attain that most of the other members don't ever have. Certain members make just the right amount of money. They don't make so little that it's embarrassing, but they don't make so much that it's intimidating to others in the congregation. They attend services when they are sick, but only at the right times when they aren't contagious. But when they are contagious, well, they did the right thing and stayed home. However, whatever the rest of us chose, it's the wrong choice. Because rest of us don't know quite what that magical balance is. That's only for a select few to know. I recall one time when I literally walked out the door and went home because I was so blown away by what someone told me. I had not been there on a Wednesday evening. I RARELY ever missed. And when I did, it was typically a Wednesday. I can remember going entire calendar years and never missing a single Sunday morning. So, someone just had to say "OneStrike, did you have an emergency or something on Wednesday night?" and I said "yeah...well...I kind of had an embarrassing problem that I'd rather not get into". And then I proceeded to point out "from what I hear, there were others that were not present on last Wednesday evening as well" and their response was....holy shit..it was mind blowing! They told me "yeah...well...some of them are SO diligent with their attendance...even if they just decided to stay home for the heck of it....shoot...they have earned the right to do that". I was like "what the hell??" When did it become okay (in the cOC of all places) to just stay home for the heck of it, just because they had had such awesome attendance up to that point? I suddenly just got "sick" and left that day. I could not even fathom what I had just heard. :lol:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:They told me "yeah...well...some of them are SO diligent with their attendance...even if they just decided to stay home for the heck of it....shoot...they have earned the right to do that". I was like "what the hell??" When did it become okay (in the cOC of all places) to just stay home for the heck of it, just because they had had such awesome attendance up to that point? I suddenly just got "sick" and left that day. I could not even fathom what I had just heard. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's great!! LOL!!!

OneStrike, I use that now. I tell people I front loaded my life with so much "service" attendance that I don't have to go for the rest of my life. :lol: :lol: :lol:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote: 14) Bringing something from the deli to the potluck. Everything is supposed to be homemade
I know someone who got critiqued for bringing a jello salad to a potluck. "That's so 70s." :D

Jello salads are cool and retro and making a comeback.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

faithfyl wrote:
OneStrike_ur_out wrote: 14) Bringing something from the deli to the potluck. Everything is supposed to be homemade
I know someone who got critiqued for bringing a jello salad to a potluck. "That's so 70s." :D

Jello salads are cool and retro and making a comeback.[/quote

I would have replied " yeah jello salad is very 70ish but when you consider the church to be so 50ish you have to make sure you dont force too much modernity on people"
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
faithfyl wrote:

Jello salads are cool and retro and making a comeback.[/quote

I would have replied " yeah jello salad is very 70ish but when you consider the church to be so 50ish you have to make sure you dont force too much modernity on people"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think a jello salad from the 50s is completely appropriate for a cofc potluck. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: