Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Re: Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by faithfyl »

Ivy wrote: I think a jello salad from the 50s is completely appropriate for a cofc potluck. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah but it was the cofc person who criticized it! But it was totally appropriate, IMO for that environment. That and anything that's been deep fried. Or one of those casserole concoctions that's choked in mayonnaise or sour cream.

On that note, I collect little spiral-bound cookbooks from various organizations including lots of churches - Lutheran, Green Orthodox, Methodist...I always wondered why I've never seen one published by a cofc. Maybe they think it's not scriptural to publish one.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:
Ivy wrote: I think a jello salad from the 50s is completely appropriate for a cofc potluck. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah but it was the cofc person who criticized it! But it was totally appropriate, IMO for that environment. That and anything that's been deep fried. Or one of those casserole concoctions that's choked in mayonnaise or sour cream.

On that note, I collect little spiral-bound cookbooks from various organizations including lots of churches - Lutheran, Green Orthodox, Methodist...I always wondered why I've never seen one published by a cofc. Maybe they think it's not scriptural to publish one.
Maybe because if they sold them it would be called a "fundraiser", which is not scriptural.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Sean

Post by Sean »

We got judged for having our own song books and folding chairs at home, instead of borrowing from the building.
We had many copies of a number of various books...it was kind of cool to break out an old Sacred Selections and remember childhood. Our maybe go to a split leaf psalter to change things up. It really doesn't cost much to get sets of books, especially is they are used. Just takes storage space, and we have tons of that.

Suspicious minds who had once enjoyed our amenities later determined that having books and chairs was evidence of our plan to split the church and start our own church.

We can't go on like this, with suspicious minds.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Ivy wrote:
faithfyl wrote:

Maybe because if they sold them it would be called a "fundraiser", which is not scriptural.
I have belonged to CofC's that have done cookbooks.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The church of christ would restore the first one true cookbook.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Sean wrote: We can't go on like this, with suspicious minds.
I think that's a song lyric? An old Elvis tune perhaps?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I have belonged to CofC's that have done cookbooks.
I bet they were lib'rel.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

B.H. wrote:The church of christ would restore the first one true cookbook.
LOL!!!!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:
LOL!!!!
What would be required to make the cookbook scriptural?

* No cooking wines as ingredients.

* No vulgar names of recipes, like "Sex on the Beach Cake".

* No Christmas or Easter recipes.

* No recipes quoted from Catholic or Methodist cookbooks.

* No price gouging or fund raising. Sell at cost only. Cookbook makers front cost; do not take from church coffers.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:
LOL!!!!
What would be required to make the cookbook scriptural?

* No vulgar names of recipes, like "Sex on the Beach Cake".
So, in the religious realm the word "Sex" is considered vulgar? Experience tells me you're correct. That makes me wonder if anyone is going to make it to heaven. Is it the JW's that believe only 144,000 will make it to heaven. If so, they are probably being optimistic.