Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Sean

Re: Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by Sean »

So Coot are you saying you would be fine with folks having sex on your lawn? I mean that is the real "get off" lawn situation

It isn't just religion that has sex prohibitions. Spring break always brings stories about arrest for sex on the beach. The rest of the time there are stories about sex in the park, sex at the ballpark, sex on the bus, sex in the classroom, sex at the workplace, sex on the Ferris wheel, etc...always somebody getting arrested for sex.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Sean wrote:So Coot are you saying you would be fine with folks having sex on your lawn? I mean that is the real "get off" lawn situation

It isn't just religion that has sex prohibitions. Spring break always brings stories about arrest for sex on the beach. The rest of the time there are stories about sex in the park, sex at the ballpark, sex on the bus, sex in the classroom, sex at the workplace, sex on the Ferris wheel, etc...always somebody getting arrested for sex.
I live in a zero lot line community. so I seriously doubt anyone is going to be having sex on my lawn, because I don't have a lawn per se. Even for secular people there is still such a thing as appropriate and inappropriate.

Many, if not most, laws, ordinances, etc, are heavily influenced by the religious community. I've watched some video's recently regarding how much group think influences every aspect of society. Both the radical left and right are examples of what happens when group think isn't restrained. Religion is very negative when it comes to human sexuality and our laws reflect this through the influence of religion on lawmakers. But, again, I will note there is such a thing as appropriate and in appropriate when it comes to sexual behavior.

Public sex is a huge turn on for many people and it's bound to happen, especially when alcohol in abundance is added into the mix. Inappropriate yes, but it harms no one unless young children happen to be present. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to sex between consenting adults, the key words being consenting and adults. The same applies for public nudity.

Our first trip to the Bahamas was interesting. Topless and nude beaches are common. The thing I discovered about women displaying their breasts is that the shock value last for a day and sometimes two. A woman's breast are erotic and stimulating because they're concealed and covered up. Once displayed the mystery has been solved and the shock value has a limited lifespan. By our third day there I'd seen a lot of boobs so the thrill had pretty much run it course.

The Europeans are somewhat bewildered by our American views regarding nudity. Nudity in other parts of the world just isn't that big of a deal. And it wouldn't be here either if it was more common, but the religious community will make sure that doesn't happen. It is no wonder to me why religious folks have so many problems and hangups when it comes to sex and nudity. Label something as dirty or sinful and it immediately becomes more interesting and enticing. The problem with sin is that religious folks say they are against it, but they do it anyway and then feel guilty about it and then worry that Divine punishment will soon follow. What a crazy merry-go-round to ride. I got off that ride years ago and I've never regretted it.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

My daddy and granddaddies both told a young bh it was ok to like boobs but dont let them make a boob out of you. I stay away from bad and trashy women . I only hang out with good wholesome women ivy would approve of.
Last edited by B.H. on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Ivy wrote: * No recipes quoted from Catholic or Methodist cookbooks.
Yes. This would probably be the most important rule of all.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:* No vulgar names of recipes, like "Sex on the Beach Cake".
Cootie Brown wrote: so, in the religious realm the word "Sex" is considered vulgar? Experience tells me you're correct. That makes me wonder if anyone is going to make it to heaven. Is it the JW's that believe only 144,000 will make it to heaven. If so, they are probably being optimistic.
Cootie, remember. If the Baptists are right, you will be one of the 144,000 (give or take) who squeak in. :lol:

To answer your question, no....the word "sex" in itself is not vulgar. It's the what, where, when, how, and why that makes the difference. It's the "on the beach" (nudity, possible mixed swimming, public indecency...) part in this case plus....are they married? Are they heterosexual? Are all of the rules for "normalcy" met? etc., and so forth.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:I live in a zero lot line community. so I seriously doubt anyone is going to be having sex on my lawn, because I don't have a lawn per se.
Cootie, don't trust so much in your lack of a yard keeping things from happening. Where there's a will, there's a way.....zero lot line or 10 acres. :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:My daddy and granddaddies both told a young bh it was ok to like boobs but dont let them make a boob out of you. I stay away from bad and trashy women . I only hang out with good wholesome women ivy would approve of.
LOL kind of a pithy way of instructing a young BH. But sounds like it "worked", in your case.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:

Are all of the rules for "normalcy" met? etc., and so forth.
It depends on whose rules for normalcy we accept. Even among religious folk the “rules” will vary. Nonbelievers would certainly have a different definition, in many situations, for normalcy than believers. Geographical location would also play a role in defining normalcy. What would be considered normal is obviously determined by a lot of factors.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Ivy wrote:

Are all of the rules for "normalcy" met? etc., and so forth.
It depends on whose rules for normalcy we accept. Even among religious folk the “rules” will vary. Nonbelievers would certainly have a different definition, in many situations, for normalcy than believers. Geographical location would also play a role in defining normalcy. What would be considered normal is obviously determined by a lot of factors.
Whatever is decided, most of us don't want to see it done in public on the beach.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Sean wrote:We got judged for having our own song books and folding chairs at home, instead of borrowing from the building.
We had many copies of a number of various books...it was kind of cool to break out an old Sacred Selections and remember childhood. Our maybe go to a split leaf psalter to change things up. It really doesn't cost much to get sets of books, especially is they are used. Just takes storage space, and we have tons of that.

Suspicious minds who had once enjoyed our amenities later determined that having books and chairs was evidence of our plan to split the church and start our own church.

We can't go on like this, with suspicious minds.

Hilarious!