Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by Ivy »

Sean wrote:We got judged for having our own song books and folding chairs at home, instead of borrowing from the building.
Ridiculous. I would think they'd admire your parents for being so devoted that they had their own. They are always looking for something.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Here's another one:

I was upbraided more than once for using the word "improvise." I was told not to use such a "high-class" word, that we just "make do."
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Struggler wrote:Here's another one:

I was upbraided more than once for using the word "improvise." I was told not to use such a "high-class" word, that we just "make do."
Celebrating ignorance since the 1950s. :roll:
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I think the NICOC is a different breed of CofC. I don’t think I ever experienced anyone being criticized for words they used. That group is really extreme, from what I have read on here.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I think the NICOC is a different breed of CofC. I don’t think I ever experienced anyone being criticized for words they used. That group is really extreme, from what I have read on here.
You are so right about that, FF. From what Struggler has said, he has experienced some of the most extreme of all of them.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

:lol:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Ivy wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:I think the NICOC is a different breed of CofC. I don’t think I ever experienced anyone being criticized for words they used. That group is really extreme, from what I have read on here.
You are so right about that, FF. From what Struggler has said, he has experienced some of the most extreme of all of them.
I'm familiar with people who get upset when someone uses "big words". They think the person is either being pretentious or mocking them for not having enough education.

The thing is, some of us aren't even aware that the words we are using are on some upper level of vocabulary. It's just words we normally use.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Amazing! :D
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Ivy wrote:
Our faction wasn't NI, but very, very close to it.
Buses, youth ministers, associate ministers, printed Sunday School materials, etc. were considered liberal. Of course, "liberal" was their catch-all term for anything they didn't like or understand.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Struggler wrote:
Ivy wrote:
Our faction wasn't NI, but very, very close to it.
Buses, youth ministers, associate ministers, printed Sunday School materials, etc. were considered liberal. Of course, "liberal" was their catch-all term for anything they didn't like or understand.
Struggler....I'm surprised you weren't NI!! Your stories surely sound very similar. What were the differences between NI and your church faction? Did they give to "orphan homes"?