Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Sean

Re: Crazy things C of C have judged you for.

Post by Sean »

When you live near or in "umble" then you say humble with an H when talking about humility (not umility) otherwise folks will think your are talking an area up by the big airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble,_Texas
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Sean wrote:When you live near or in "umble" then you say humble with an H when talking about humility (not umility) otherwise folks will think your are talking an area up by the big airport
Just like if you go shopping in Terrell you better not say ' I went to Terrell' because that phrase around here means you went to the psych hospital there. If you did not go to the hospital for mental patients you must always explain why you went to Terrell like I went to Terrell to shop or I went to Terrell to see relatives.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Just like if you go shopping in Terrell you better not say ' I went to Terrell' because that phrase around here means you went to the psych hospital there. If you did not go to the hospital for mental patients you must always explain why you went to Terrell like I went to Terrell to shop or I went to Terrell to see relatives.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is so true, all over NE Texas.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

zeek wrote:
faithfyl wrote:
zeek wrote: Saying Humble rather than dropping the H and saying Umble.
Umble sounds very old fashioned....they really pronounced it that way?
Oh, absolutely. If you pronounced it correctly sounding the H they would tell you "you are being uppity or pretentious".
Experienced that, too. I think in some C of C factions, that's a salvation issue. Seriously.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

faithfyl wrote:She also uses the term "lady doctor" which I find old fashioned and weird. A doctor is a doctor, not sure why gender matters.
My sister-in-law still refers to "the male nurse" every single time she runs across a nurse who happens to be a man.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

Sean wrote:When you live near or in "umble" then you say humble with an H when talking about humility (not umility) otherwise folks will think your are talking an area up by the big airport
The town named after "Umble Awl" (now known as Exxon)!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Isn't there a scripture about "teaching as doctrine the commands of men"? Oopsie!!
zeek

Post by zeek »

Ivy wrote:Isn't there a scripture about "teaching as doctrine the commands of men"? Oopsie!!
This stuff is not presented so much as commands of men or of God for that matter. It is presented more as some sort of a priori knowledge. You know, "we don't know how or why it's wrong but everybody knows it's wrong".
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote:
Ivy wrote:Isn't there a scripture about "teaching as doctrine the commands of men"? Oopsie!!
This stuff is not presented so much as commands of men or of God for that matter. It is presented more as some sort of a priori knowledge. You know, "we don't know how or why it's wrong but everybody knows it's wrong".
Wouldn't that count as "teaching as doctrine"? Seems to me it would....if something is seen as somehow universally wrong.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Of course it is doctrine but they never ascribe a source for it. They know it's not in the Bible but it is still wrong "just because it is".
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel