Church of Christ folks don’t get it

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Church of Christ folks don’t get it

Post by agricola »

Social aspects of cult-like behavior

For a group to be a cult in the social sense, many of the following characteristics would have to be present. For a group to be a cult in the doctrinal sense, essentials (in this case of the Christian faith) would have to be violated. Some of the characteristics are listed below.
I found this at a Christian site, but I would agree with the main points on how to recognize a cult. The CoC as a denomination DOES match certain of these - but not all. I'll comment on the ones I see as characteristics of the CoC - see if you agree:
Submission:
Complete, almost unquestioned trust in the leadership.
Leaders are often seen as prophets, apostles, or special individuals with unusual connections to God. This helps a person give themselves over psychologically to trusting someone else for their spiritual welfare.
Increased submission to the leadership is rewarded with additional responsibilities and/or roles, and/or praises, increasing the importance of the person within the group.
No, or at least, only somewhat. The CoC does give heightened respect to elders and preachers, but not to the extent of seeing them as having prophetic abilities, or special connections to God. The CoC does attract and reward authoritarianism, and the rank and file to tend to be very respectful of authority because of THAT aspect, rather than attributing special holiness or Spiritual Connection to the leadership.
Exclusivity
Their group is the only true religious system, or one of the few true remnants of God's people.
Oh absolutely yes on that one. Totally agree.
Persecution complex
Us against them mentality. Therefore, when someone (inside or outside of the group) corrects the group in doctrine and/or behavior, it is interpreted as persecution, which then is interpreted as validation.
Again, absolutely yes. Totally agree.
Control
Control of members' actions and thinking through repeated indoctrination and/or threats of loss of salvation, or a place to live, or receiving curses from God, etc.
To a degree. But the CoC ALSO teaches that people should do their own investigation and make up their own minds - which I will completely agree results in a remarkable level of cognitive dissonance. Still - it's there. So this one gets a solid 'not exactly'.
Isolation
Minimizing contact of church members with those outside the group. This facilitates a further control over the thinking and practices of the members by the leadership.
you know what? Not really. Not as much as we might think. The CoC does demand a fair amount of 'in group' meetings which TEND to limit the time people have for socializing with non-members, but it doesn't stop that, or actually police it much.
Love Bombing
Showing great attention and love to a person in the group by others in the group, to help transfer emotional dependence to the group.
Heh. No.
Special Knowledge
Instructions and/or knowledge are sometimes said to be received by a leader(s) from God. This leader then informs the members.
The Special Knowledge can be received through visions, dreams, or new interpretations of sacred scriptures such as the Bible.
No on that one. CoC leaders don't typically preach to the congregation about getting messages directly from God. That's too Pentacostal for the CoC.
Visions? dreams? Hah - no way. Too much 'Holy Spirit' going on there, and everybody knows the HS stopped talking to people as soon as the NT was available.
Indoctrination
The teachings of the group are repeatedly drilled into the members, but the indoctrination usually occurs around Special Knowledge.
Mixed. Repeatedly drilled? yes. indoctrination around those 'special knowledge' from dreams and visions of the leadership? Nah. no way.
Salvation
Salvation from the judgment of God is maintained through association and/or submission with the group, its authority, and/or its Special Knowledge
Ok, that one is a yes. But not 'special knowledge'.

Group Think
The group's coherence is maintained by the observance to policies handed down from those in authority.
There is an internal enforcement of policies by members who reward "proper" behavior, and those who perform properly are rewarded with further inclusion and acceptance by the group.
Kinda sorta, right? Or a flat yes.
Cognitive Dissonance
Avoidance of critical thinking and/or maintaining logically impossible beliefs and/or beliefs that are inconsistent with other beliefs held by the group.
Avoidance of and/or denial of any facts that might contradict the group's belief system.
Yes.
Shunning
Those who do not keep in step with group policies are shunned and/or expelled.
Sometimes but not consistently. Sometimes there's just a congregational split (the CoC is GREAT at this). Sometimes people just leave and go somewhere else. Shunning is inconsistent and overall, rare.
Gender Roles
Control of gender roles and definitions.
Severe control of gender roles sometimes leads to sexual exploitation.
Yes, or kind of - I think that 'gender roles' in religions GENERALLY is very common, so I don't think the CoC is doing something particularly differently from, say, Southern Baptists or LDS or just about any other Christian denomination on the traditional/fundamentalist end of things. So - that one is very iffy as a 'cult sign'.
Appearance Standards
Often a common appearance is required and maintained. For instance, women might wear prairie dresses, and/or their hair in buns, and/or no makeup, and/or the men might all wear white short-sleeved shirts, and/or without beards, or all wear beards.
No. Really not.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I think where the CoC falls down on the 'cult' description is the lack of enough 'control' in the form of claiming unchallengeable DIVINE authority for the Leaders, and the lack of actual protocols for complete control of every member's every act and activity -

CoC 'leaders' are mostly college teachers, really - and none of them are claiming Jerry Falwell levels of Divine Approval.

JW's are a cult. The Worldwide Church of God (and remaining splinters) is a cult. LDS is by golly ORGANIZED, God love 'em, but they are a cult. The CoC is a wannabe - but it's too much work and they'd have to be better organized (also too much work) to do the whole full blown cult thing. Cult-LIKE, but not a cult.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I think they have enough markers to qualify as a religious cult. It would be rare for any group to have all the markers and those that do tend to live off by themselves in communes.

I also think the cult “leader” can be an inanimate object, such as the Bible. The c of C worships the Bible in spite of their denial. The believe the Bible is God in written form. I don’t know how anyone could deny that.

I don’t think a cult has to have all the markers, and the c of C has a lot more than a few cultish traits and practices. So, we can agree to disagree on what qualifies as a cult.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It is a cult by some (benign) explanations, and really not a cult by the common 'society in general' definition, Cootie - and that accusation gets thrown around FAR too often. The CoC is not a 'society in general' opinion 'cult'.

No.

Please don't - and the reason I argue against that term for the CoC is purely because I have known people who have gotten involved in ACTUAL cults, and believe you me, folks, there is NO REAL COMPARISON.

REAL cults are toxic stews of mind control and total dictatorships. I'll certainly agree that most CoC's are cult-LIKE. I'll even agree that the CoC likes it that way - but a real 'society in general' version of a cult?
Nope. FAR too 'in the world' to be labeled a cult.

Ask me sometime about my friend from high school who wanted to be a physicist (and had the intellectual chops for it), who got involved in the Worldwide Church of God back in the early 70's. THAT'S a cult.

There's a difference between preaching from the pulpit that a member 'ought not' do something or other, and preaching from the pulpit that a member CANNOT do that same thing - with an enforcement platoon.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I agree with Agri on this. While it has some cult markers, it is not a full blown cult.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~