C of C ranking of sins

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: C of C ranking of sins

Post by agricola »

HamBiscuit wrote:Faithfyl-

Now that you mention it, I don't remember rape being a subject either! Guess I was going from my own "opinion", which by their standard is the wrong one I guess.
Welp, cross that one out :(
Yes, we all actually did. We just didn't RECOGNIZE it, because it was included in 'fornication'.

We certainly heard a LOT about 'fornication'!

The CoC subsumes rape under 'sexual promiscuity' stuff, and not under 'violence and assault' - like many people, actually (sadly).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

B.H. wrote:I never heard a sermon about jacking off either.
Then you weren’t paying attention. On another site someone posted a picture of a billboard. It’s a picture of Jesus frowning and it says.....”You can’t hold hands with Jesus while masturbating.” :roll:

If masturbating is a sin then everyone on planet earth is bound for Hell. :shock:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Then you weren’t paying attention. On another site someone posted a picture of a billboard. It’s a picture of Jesus frowning and it says.....”You can’t hold hands with Jesus while masturbating.”
:
Was this posted in seriousness or was it a joke?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

faithfyl wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:
Then you weren’t paying attention. On another site someone posted a picture of a billboard. It’s a picture of Jesus frowning and it says.....”You can’t hold hands with Jesus while masturbating.”
:
I was serious. When you masturbate you have a fantasy person you are having sex with. I'm surprised no one put two and two together and say masterbating was committing adultery in your heart or something along those lines.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

faithfyl wrote:Supposedly all sins are equal in the eyes of God but C of C ranks them in order of how bad they are. Number one worst sin is drinking/consuming alcohol, followed by homosexuality as the second worst sin. Third would be premarital sex or adultery and fourth down on the list would be forsaking the assembly (missing church). Anyone agree or disagree with these ranks?
Both Paul and David were murderers. Does it matter. There is always plenty of sin. I have skipped Church for a long time and don't feel guilty. I don't do guilt trips. I watch pastor's on line who have full command of the entire Bible including some Greek. John MacArthur is a Baptist who gives sermons that feed you. Chuck Missler also. These do not ask for money all the time and are not selling prayer cloths or such. You can eliminate those rather quickly.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

faithfyl wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:
:
A picture of the bill board was posted over at Ex-Christian.net. It was a real bill board.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I knew a missionary couple back during the 80s; they were really good people. We went to a cofc congregation where they attended while back from the mission field. She once shared with me that she taught her her teenage sons masturbation was very normal and healthy, and an important part of maintaining control of their sexuality. We also taught the same to our boys. I think that more modern christian / religious parents are more open and accepting of masturbation these days; more than you might think. If you shame kids about their sexuality, that's when you increase their risk of addictive sexual behavior, and sexual dysfunction down the road.

That sign you mentioned is ridiculous.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

B.H. wrote:
I hope that youth minister has a son who is gay and accidentally walks in in his son and his boy friend butt nekkid in the act one mounted on the other.
Stuff like this happens. Many conservative Christians find out their son or daughter is gay or bisexual. They are going to have to come to terms with that eventually. How many more families are going to break up over this issue? At some point it will have to be accepted.