C of C ranking of sins

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

C of C ranking of sins

Post by faithfyl »

Supposedly all sins are equal in the eyes of God but C of C ranks them in order of how bad they are. Number one worst sin is drinking/consuming alcohol, followed by homosexuality as the second worst sin. Third would be premarital sex or adultery and fourth down on the list would be forsaking the assembly (missing church). Anyone agree or disagree with these ranks?
FinallyFree

Re: C of C ranking of sins

Post by FinallyFree »

I would put homosexuality and sex sins at the top of the list.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:Supposedly all sins are equal in the eyes of God but C of C ranks them in order of how bad they are. Number one worst sin is drinking/consuming alcohol, followed by homosexuality as the second worst sin. Third would be premarital sex or adultery and fourth down on the list would be forsaking the assembly (missing church). Anyone agree or disagree with these ranks?
I wonder if the rankings change depending on the ranking of the individual doing them. For example, a cofc royalty person who drinks a nightly "toddy" for their stomach's infirmity might be given a pass and the ranking of the drinking lowering to less heinous. Whereas if the member is not c/c royalty, and is just a low ranking guy off the street who has a nightly beer. He would be looked at askance.

Here's another thought. Would they put murder as # 1? Where would overeating and gossip go on the list? Unloving behavior? What about leaving the church?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Anything having to do with sex, and especially homosexuality. I would put that at the top of the list and that would be followed closely by unfaithfulness in any form. Alcohol, or as one Elder referred to it as alkeehall, would be high on that list too.

And the water Jesus turned into wine was most definitely not alkeehallic wine, cause Jesus would never make the Devil’s brew for anyone. :mrgreen:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Remarriage after unscriptural divorce could be in line for # 1 as well.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

What about unforgivable sins? Blasphemy of course is biblical, but suicide is also unforgivable because it’s not possible to repent. A wealthy prominent member in the congregation I attended committed suicide. It later came out his company was failing and he was headed for bankruptcy. He was in his 60’s and had a lot of life insurance. He apparently wanted his widow nd granddaughter, that lived with them, to maintain their affluent lifestyle.

When his death became known people began gathering at their home to “console” the widow and teenage granddaughter. The youth minister, in front of me, told the widow and granddaughter that he’d pray for Jesus to comfort them knowing their loved one was in Hell for taking his life.

An example of Church of Christ legalism, compassion, and stupidity. :roll:
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

faithfyl wrote:Supposedly all sins are equal in the eyes of God but C of C ranks them in order of how bad they are. Number one worst sin is drinking/consuming alcohol, followed by homosexuality as the second worst sin. Third would be premarital sex or adultery and fourth down on the list would be forsaking the assembly (missing church). Anyone agree or disagree with these ranks?
Hello (new here)
From the pulpit I always heard "all sins are equal" so, a little white lie is as bad as murder.

HOWEVER

They didn't believe or practice this belief, just like everything else they'd say LOL
I'd say it goes like this from worst to...not worst

Rape/Murder
Homosexuality
Adultery
Sex in general/drugs and alcohol
Theft (unless it's on a federal level)
Forsaking the assembly
Lies

and by the way, if you've slipped and done any of these, you're going to hell. Sure, you can repent publicly and come back (mom did it twice, long story), but you're still seen as "less than". it's pretty gross.
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

Cootie Brown wrote:What about unforgivable sins? Blasphemy of course is biblical, but suicide is also unforgivable because it’s not possible to repent. A wealthy prominent member in the congregation I attended committed suicide. It later came out his company was failing and he was headed for bankruptcy. He was in his 60’s and had a lot of life insurance. He apparently wanted his widow nd granddaughter, that lived with them, to maintain their affluent lifestyle.

When his death became known people began gathering at their home to “console” the widow and teenage granddaughter. The youth minister, in front of me, told the widow and granddaughter that he’d pray for Jesus to comfort them knowing their loved one was in Hell for taking his life.

An example of Church of Christ legalism, compassion, and stupidity. :roll:
I failed to mention suicide and blasphemy.

Sorry to hear that about that man. It's sad when someone takes their life, but even more sad is the fact that those families get absolutely no comfort at all, but even more damage.

I've always argued "it's human instinct to survive. If someone loses that instinct they're sick. But, God doesn't punish cancer patients, right?"

Didn't mean to get into that. But yeah, I failed to mention the unforgivable sins. But, it almost seems like all sins are unforgivable unfortunately.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

HamBiscuit wrote: Theft (unless it's on a federal level)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

Ivy wrote:
HamBiscuit wrote: Theft (unless it's on a federal level)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know this from experience. ;) (My mom's a felon) :lol: