C of C ranking of sins

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: C of C ranking of sins

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:The youth minister, in front of me, told the widow and granddaughter that he’d pray for Jesus to comfort them knowing their loved one was in Hell for taking his life.
I would daresay that saying that to a grieving family qualifies as evil.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Ivy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:The youth minister, in front of me, told the widow and granddaughter that he’d pray for Jesus to comfort them knowing their loved one was in Hell for taking his life.
I definitely agree!
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

FinallyFree wrote:I would put homosexuality and sex sins at the top of the list.
I would put them after alcohol because for some reason that was considered worse than sexual sins. Even though sexual sins were considered abhorrent in C of C.

Drinking was the one sure fire thing that would get someone kicked out of a C of C college. There were even many students i talked to, who told me it was the worst thing someone could do.

I still wonder why it's so shocking to religious folks, that unmarried adults in their 20s, 30s are having pre-marital sex. I could never mention I had spent the night at my boyfriend's house. I had to pretend to be virginal well into my 30s. I got tired of covering things up. Most of my other friends - the vast majority - were already married so they didn't have to go through this pretense that I did.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

HamBiscuit wrote: They didn't believe or practice this belief, just like everything else they'd say LOL
I'd say it goes like this from worst to...not worst

Rape/Murder
Homosexuality
Adultery
Sex in general/drugs and alcohol
Theft (unless it's on a federal level)
Forsaking the assembly
Lies .
I never once, in my life, heard a sermon about how raping someone was wrong. I dont think many churches have addressed that at all. They only talk about pre-marital sex and homosexuality. They want to believe that Christian men don't do this. (I use the word men because let's face it, the majority of rape is committed by males).
Rape wasn't discussed, only implied, to talk about ways that the person caused themselves to be a victim.

As for theft, sure, on a federal level that wasn't discussed. It's one of those white collar crimes that gets a pass.
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

Faithfyl-

Now that you mention it, I don't remember rape being a subject either! Guess I was going from my own "opinion", which by their standard is the wrong one I guess.
Welp, cross that one out :(
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

HamBiscuit wrote:Faithfyl-

Now that you mention it, I don't remember rape being a subject either! Guess I was going from my own "opinion", which by their standard is the wrong one I guess.
Although if you asked them, they would say "oh, sure, we believe that's a sin and it's wrong." The difference is, they don't form an agenda and speak out against sexual assault the same way they do abortion, pre-marital sex, drug use and homosexuality. If they even discuss rape at all, it's in the context of abortion.
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

faithfyl wrote:

Although if you asked them, they would say "oh, sure, we believe that's a sin and it's wrong." The difference is, they don't form an agenda and speak out against sexual assault the same way they do abortion, pre-marital sex, drug use and homosexuality. If they even discuss rape at all, it's in the context of abortion.
Yeah that's true unfortunately :\ I hadn't even thought of that. Thank you for bringing it up. Now I'm even more salty.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

faithfyl wrote:

I noted sexual sin in the plural as in all inclusive. There are so many sexual sins any specific list would likely be incomplete.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I never heard a sermon about jacking off either.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
I hope that youth minister has a son who is gay and accidentally walks in in his son and his boy friend butt nekkid in the act one mounted on the other.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx