Charity story/question

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Charity story/question

Post by agricola »

JW teachings are very anxiety producing, and I don't think simply 'no Christmas' is the cause of that, or at least not the only one.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 pm
B.H. wrote:I have an idea why so many denominations and churches lean right or far right. They harper about abortion being a great evil to oppose but I think it is that churches themselves own or partially own businesses. I read a book written back in the early 70s called The Religion Business. The author was a journalist and I cant remember his name but the book pissed a lot of folks off. He investigated the Catholic, Presbyterian 3ct denominations and found that they actually owned lots of businesses or had large amounts of stock in businesses that were left to them in will of deceased members. I know in Corsicana the Catholic Church owns the property a large chain grocery store sits on and gets rent from it. Just food for thought.
Good points you made, BH. You can always follow the money even with, and perhaps especially with, religious organizations. Oh, and yes they love exploiting the abortion issue as it gleans them many, many votes from people who don't know any better...and they get to virtue signal about "saving the babies" from the "evil libs". They'll continue to milk that until the cows come home. They don't want it resolved. If Roe v Wade were overturned and that was settled permanently somehow in their favor, what would they have to manipulate people to vote for them? Getting immigrant kids out of the cages and reuniting them with their families...perhaps they'd focus on that? Or getting birth control out to help people avoid pregnancy? LOL!! Feeding the hungry?
The religous exemption should be limited. Many churches own large tracts of land and hold it as a tax free investment, There have been TV preachers that borrow donation money to buy rentals that they later sell at a profit. They keep the profit and the loan is repayed. Technically the Church owns the rentals so they are tax free. People that profit greatly off of God have received their reward. Avoid them. Jesus was angry at the money changers for the same reason. They were not supposed to make money while changing it into temple coin. He called them thieves. The temple coin did not have a graven image that could be worshipped. Money sacrifices were in temple coin not Roman coin. Abortion is a contentious issue. You can learn to perform a back street abortion. Not hard. The problem is that while you are stabbing a baby to death with a coat hanger you can penetrate the uterus. You don't want infection inside the body including the uteru. You don't want endometrial tissue growing inside the body. You could cause that. Creating back street abortions is very risky and goes from bad to worse. Is a coat hanger sterile? No. There are women who have tried such and can no longer have children as a result.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:26 pm JW teachings are very anxiety producing, and I don't think simply 'no Christmas' is the cause of that, or at least not the only one.

They don't practice holidays or salute the flag. I don't believe that December 25 is the birthday of Jesus. This day was selected to hide the Birthday of Zeus. Is it a bad thing no. Is it commercial yes. Have fun with your kids. Our grand sons got nerf guns and plenty of ammo. I am sure they had a war. They even got camo outfits. My son said he had a nerf machine gun. There was a small plastic vacuum for picking up bullets. I am around a mailing ministry. Some people like cards.