Spies?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: Spies?

Post by B.H. »

Are any of you church of christ spies? Can I be the exer board version of the Stasi and find out so Teresa can throw them into the cyber fire that dieth not along with the cyber worm that dieth not?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

HamBiscuit wrote: Someone saw I had posted something bad on my page.
That's why facebook has a "block" feature. It really comes in handy.

As for spying, yes, I know of this going on. My BIL's sister was going through a divorce. It was very important to her C of C parents, that they know for sure that her divorce would be scriptural, because her husband was cheating on her. But they wanted literal proof of this, so her divorce would be scriptural and they could prove it to the elders. So they hired a Private Investigator to spy on her husband in bed with another woman; literally, looking through bedroom windows to see them in bed together. I'm pretty sure this was not even legal for a PI to be trespassing like this on someone's property. My mom told me this story, in her opinion, it was fully justified.
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

faithfyl wrote:
HamBiscuit wrote: Someone saw I had posted something bad on my page.
That's why facebook has a "block" feature. It really comes in handy.

As for spying, yes, I know of this going on. My BIL's sister was going through a divorce. It was very important to her C of C parents, that they know for sure that her divorce would be scriptural, because her husband was cheating on her. But they wanted literal proof of this, so her divorce would be scriptural and they could prove it to the elders. So they hired a Private Investigator to spy on her husband in bed with another woman; literally, looking through bedroom windows to see them in bed together. I'm pretty sure this was not even legal for a PI to be trespassing like this on someone's property. My mom told me this story, in her opinion, it was fully justified.
Trust me. LOL I used the damn "block" a lot after that. Still got no idea since privacy settings were tight and didn't even have anyone added. It was in the newer days of facebook but yeah. When I found out about it, it was my best friend :lol:

That doesn't surprise me at all. The story about my dad hiring a PI happened when she went missing, and when he needed to know his divorce would be "scriptural" too. Nevermind I had bruises all that time :\
Why even hire a PI when you go to the CoC? :lol:
HamBiscuit

Post by HamBiscuit »

Ivy wrote:That is some seriously jacked up stuff, HamBiscuit!!! We had some mini-spies, but not as over the top as what you had. Ex: A little old lady sees me downtown in "shorts" with some friends. I must have been in junior high, or maybe early high school. The friends I was with were a little more worldly wise than I was; they wore shorts, danced, and cussed. :lol: Anyway, said little old lady calls my mother, and I get a lecture when I get home about being out in shorts. Really ticked me off!! Any time you did something in our little town, the parents would likely know about it before you got home...unless you hid it REAL WELL. :lol: You didn't usually know who the narc was, but at one point it was some guy with a CB radio or someone who worked for the police dept. WTF?

I made myself LOL reading what I just wrote!! So silly and ridiculous.
Good lord :lol:
Yeah, there was always the rat who, "I saw so and so wearing such and such at this place" too.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Wow! This has been a fun but creepy read. Spies, spies, everywhere!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Tsathoggua wrote:Wow! This has been a fun but creepy read. Spies, spies, everywhere!
Glad you enjoyed it!! We try to entertain. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Yes, we had spies but I called them busybodies or gossips. But spies might be a better word.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:Yes, we had spies but I called them busybodies or gossips. But spies might be a better word.
I used to call them "biddies", but I determined that was sexist and disrespectful to our cofc private detective / compliance force, and also to the poultry species. As of this time I haven't determined what would be acceptable to call them. It's such hard work being "woke". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps "cofc PI Force"?
agricola

Post by agricola »

I tend to think of 'spies' as being formally commissioned PROFESSIONAL snoops. AFAIK, no congregation is actually recruiting SPIES. What they have is an ever present cohort of volunteer snoops and TATTLE TALES.

Any group that promotes some kind of uniformity of thought/action where increased conformity = higher social position is going to be a breeding ground for snoops and sneaks and tattle tales. No need to hire and PAY them.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:I tend to think of 'spies' as being formally commissioned PROFESSIONAL snoops. AFAIK, no congregation is actually recruiting SPIES. What they have is an ever present cohort of volunteer snoops and TATTLE TALES.

Any group that promotes some kind of uniformity of thought/action where increased conformity = higher social position is going to be a breeding ground for snoops and sneaks and tattle tales. No need to hire and PAY them.
HAHA!! No, they are definitely self appointed.