Ditched at the Altar for Being Baptist

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
roddma

Ditched at the Altar for Being Baptist

Post by roddma »

The 3rd story down on Reddit is Church of Christ to a T . I agree why proceed with a wedding knowing your fiance is Baptist? It makes no sense to get this woman's hopes up only to crush them. It says on down the groom hoped to convert her and even went to her church but she wasn't feeling it. If true, she likely escaped a train wreck of a marriage. There are some other interesting stories like the gay man coming out on a wedding day. I haven't got to read a lot of them yet. The Church of Christ one just caught my eye.
https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comm ... what_made/
Ivy

Re: Ditched at the Altar for Being Baptist

Post by Ivy »

Yes, that sounds like a very cofc scenario, roddma!! She really did dodge a bullet there.

Better "ditched at the alter" than "dunked at midnight" by a group of vigilantes. LOL!! I have a story about
that if y'all ever want to hear it.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I read reddit occasionally. There is also a small group of us Ex c of C folk over at Ex-Christian.net. After years of reading posts on different sites, I have to say I think the Pentecostals are a couple of rungs above the c of C when it comes to bizarre beliefs, teachings, and traditions.

Just saying, as hard as it may be to believe, I don’t think the c of C is the most “unusual or legalistic” group out there. And that’s a pretty scary thought. :shock:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:I read reddit occasionally. There is also a small group of us Ex c of C folk over at Ex-Christian.net. After years of reading posts on different sites, I have to say I think the Pentecostals are a couple of rungs above the c of C when it comes to bizarre beliefs, teachings, and traditions.

Just saying, as hard as it may be to believe, I don’t think the c of C is the most “unusual or legalistic” group out there. And that’s a pretty scary thought. :shock:
I think in many ways the Pentecostals are way healthier than people in the NICOC culture. I have some direct knowledge of this. To me, they seem more loving, grace oriented, and able to accept people with diverse backgrounds and difficult issues. I am mainly talking about the UPC (United Pentecostal Church) here. Just my opinion.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I have no personal experience with Pentecostals. I’m just going by the testimonies that have been written over at Ex-Christian. Those leaving the Pentecostal faith have written some disturbing testimonials about being raised in that faith, but I know those may be the exception.

We have had some disturbing testimonials written about the Church of Christ on this site too, but we all know some folks that truly believe the c of C is the one true church of Christ here on earth and would never leave it. Perception is reality for all of us.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Yes, Cootie, and of course I've never been a true insider with any Pentecostal group. So of course I do not have the deeper understanding of their culture that someone raised in it would have. But I like to give them a bit of a shout out sometime because of some things I saw in my parents' neighbors, and their family and friends, of many decades. Truly good people who treat others with grace.
roddma

Post by roddma »

Pentecostal can cover a wide range of beliefs. But the ones I know the women are skirts only, long hair and no secular entertainment. I was buddies with someone who married a lot older guy,( not together now AFIK), and they went to his brothers' Pentecostal church. I was already familiar with the family anyway because an older friend's daughter married into it but they divorced. Anyhow several years ago she come in with no pantyhose and he started preaching about wearing pantyhose. The brother didn't like it when some of them went to see Britney Spears back in the early 2000s saying why do you want to see that slutty girl. Like how'd he know that lol? They also prefer marrying within the church. Again just based on what I've seen. I think there's difference in UPC and apocalyptic/traditional Pentecostal.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

roddma wrote:Pentecostal can cover a wide range of beliefs. But the ones I know the women are skirts only, long hair and no secular entertainment. I was buddies with someone who married a lot older guy,( not together now AFIK), and they went to his brothers' Pentecostal church. I was already familiar with the family anyway because an older friend's daughter married into it but they divorced. Anyhow several years ago she come in with no pantyhose and he started preaching about wearing pantyhose. The brother didn't like it when some of them went to see Britney Spears back in the early 2000s saying why do you want to see that slutty girl. Like how'd he know that lol? They also prefer marrying within the church. Again just based on what I've seen. I think there's difference in UPC and apocalyptic/traditional Pentecostal.
Well, you could be right, roddma. I didn't go that deeply into it. I am sure they can be just as legalistic as anyone else. Yes, they did have long skirts, no pants, long hair, no makeup, sometimes not even a wedding band. No TV. I think maybe some have loosened up on that, though. I am out of touch with them now.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Somebody ought to make a movie called The Runaway Campbellite.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Somebody ought to make a movie called The Runaway Campbellite.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it. It could be about the Campbellite's fear of getting married...because it's one and done, even if you
get a dud the first time around. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was terrified of getting married, but finally took the leap, and glad I did.