Ditched at the Altar for Being Baptist

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Tsathoggua

Re: Ditched at the Altar for Being Baptist

Post by Tsathoggua »

Cootie Brown wrote:I read reddit occasionally. There is also a small group of us Ex c of C folk over at Ex-Christian.net. After years of reading posts on different sites, I have to say I think the Pentecostals are a couple of rungs above the c of C when it comes to bizarre beliefs, teachings, and traditions.

Just saying, as hard as it may be to believe, I don’t think the c of C is the most “unusual or legalistic” group out there. And that’s a pretty scary thought. :shock:
"Unusual or legalistic" -- oh, i definitely agree! :D
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

People who do this often wonder why, years later, that they are still single.

Too many scriptural issues with various potential partners. Then before they know it, their biological clock has ticked away and/or many chances are gone.

I knew a woman who threw away her one chance at marriage, with a man she was deeply in love with, because his divorce wasn't scriptural. She's still single in her old age. She said "I have good days and bad days." I know it still eats away at her.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:People who do this often wonder why, years later, that they are still single.

Too many scriptural issues with various potential partners. Then before they know it, their biological clock has ticked away and/or many chances are gone.

I knew a woman who threw away her one chance at marriage, with a man she was deeply in love with, because his divorce wasn't scriptural. She's still single in her old age. She said "I have good days and bad days." I know it still eats away at her.
Well, as mama used to say...there are much worse things than being single. This lady may have dodged some sort of bullet with this guy. But anyway, you're right too. For many, it's sad to think of what could have been.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Ivy wrote:
faithfyl wrote:People who do this often wonder why, years later, that they are still single.

Well, as mama used to say...there are much worse things than being single. This lady may have dodged some sort of bullet with this guy. But anyway, you're right too. For many, it's sad to think of what could have been.
Well, he was the one love of her life and apparently the only real flaw was his un-scriptural divorce. I don't think she's unhappy being single, though. I think she is unhappy because she loved him but she cannot have him, (due to her religious beliefs). She still believes that she made the right decision scripturally, though.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

If people can't compromise on religious issues, perhaps the person who can't compromise is too rigid in his thinking to have a successful marriage.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:If people can't compromise on religious issues, perhaps the person who can't compromise is too rigid in his thinking to have a successful marriage.
This!!!!! If it’s “my way or the highway” in religion, that tends to be the way they think across the board.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

I left the CoC before marrying a Baptist. She was better centered that I was. She admits that there are conservative Baptist churches but did not attend them. They are aware of both the Old Testament and New. They understand baptism properly.
They immerse. Baptism does not save you but is demonstration of your faith. The CoC was not there on the day of Pentecost. Acts chapter 2. The people believed and were saved before baptism. I have caught the CoC with many lies. In fact I reject everything I was told in the CoC until I find out for myself.