CoC idiosyncrasies

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: CoC idiosyncrasies

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:The biggest difference besides actual theology between LDS and the Church of Christ, is that the LDS is by god ORGANIZED to the nth degree at every level from birth to death, and the CoC never got the knack of it.
So true!! And there are WAY more similaries between LDS and cofc than anyone cares to acknowledge. I was a little bit shocked when that was brought to my attention.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Yes. They baptize for the forgiveness of sin, say their church should be called church of christ, all others false, have elders and deacons, have a restoration theology. Alexander Campbell thought sidney rigdon, an early coc preacher who defected to the mormons actually wrote the book of mormon because there was just so much coc theology in it.
Last edited by B.H. on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I think that was Sidney Rigdon, B.H.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

FinallyFree wrote:I think that was Sidney Rigdon, B.H.

It was and I went back and edited the post.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I looked up Sidney Rigdon, and it said there was a theory he had written the Book of Mormon.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I looked up Sidney Rigdon, and it said there was a theory he had written the Book of Mormon.
Seems vaguely like I heard that somewhere...that there may have been a cofc guy who helped write, or wrote, the Book of Mormon. Wouldn't that be something. In fact, it may have been discussed on a documentary we watched a few months back.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Ivy, I was always taught we were not Protestant.
Agricola, I prefer the word minister over preacher. Preacher sounds kind of country and unsophisticated to me.
I think the CofC makes too big a deal out of certain words and nitpicks stuff to death.
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:
Also, if I remember correctly, I was made to understand that we were not "Protestant". I assume that's because to cofc we existed before the Catholic Church, so we weren't protesting anything; we were just restoring the original church.

Anyone have thoughts on this? By that I mean, what you were told the church believed on these things.
Emperor Constantine had the idea that there should be only one Christian church. He rolled it into one. The was in the fourth century. Where was the CoC hiding then. The truth is nowhere. They are part of the Restoration movement in the 1800's. You can argue for the late 1700's but it is not worth it. We do not have Marcion's hack job on Luke. It would be fun to read. It probably was burned. Gnostic work were found in clay Jars in the desert. Probably so they would not be burned.
agricola

Post by agricola »

FinallyFree wrote:Ivy, I was always taught we were not Protestant.
Agricola, I prefer the word minister over preacher. Preacher sounds kind of country and unsophisticated to me.
I think the CofC makes too big a deal out of certain words and nitpicks stuff to death.

Oh the coc definitely nitpicks stuff to death and then performs autopsies over the remains.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:The biggest difference besides actual theology between LDS and the Church of Christ, is that the LDS is by god ORGANIZED to the nth degree at every level from birth to death, and the CoC never got the knack of it.
The Christian side of LDS can sound like the CoC. They both came out of the Restoration Movement. Alexander Campbell influenced both. The LDS has differences in the the elite have temple ceremonies that sometimes mimic Masonic things. The members also were Mormon underwear that is different. The Book of Mormon has changed. At one time Blacks could not be part of the Church Heirarcy. As they expanded they got a revelation that they could as they expanded into Africa. The American Indian was supposed to be Jewish. We have good DNA markers for Hebrews. Indians were checked from Canada to South America and no such markers were found. Joseph Smith was a creative liar. This has been shown a couple of times. The other time was in the book of Abraham which part of the Pearl of Great Price. This was a book of the Dead that came out of a mummy case. It's translation is known to Egyptologists. He said it was reformed Egyptian. There is no such language. I consider neither to be Christian.