CoC idiosyncrasies

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: CoC idiosyncrasies

Post by agricola »

I am surely not the only coc kid who was told to check 'other' on all those forms that asked 'Catholic Protestant Jew other'?
Mother told us to check 'other' and write in 'Christian'.
I never did. I always checked 'Protestant'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:I am surely not the only coc kid who was told to check 'other' on all those forms that asked 'Catholic Protestant Jew other'?
More correct than not. The CoC is its own thing. We were there on the day of Pentecost would mean that would have had to been part of the Church under Constantine or burned at the stake and later part of the Reformation. The CoC was at neither and nor do they truly know their own history. 2 weeks of Bible school means your preacher does not deserve any respect. I've listened to men who had years of Greek and Hebrew under there belt in denominations. Most preachers in the CoC know neither. Hebrew is becoming more important. Matthew was originally written Hebrew. Jesus spoke Aramaic. When you get to the Greek Matthew it has suffered the violence of one translation. By the time you get to English it is two translations. Mary's father was a Joseph as was her supposed husband. This is clarilfied in the Hebrew version not the Greek. It was found in the Jewish archives by a Hebrew reading American Jew. He is interested because he studies ancient manuscripts. He carries a Hebrew bible and reads you the Hebrew then translates it into English the fly. There is several books in the new Testament written in Hebrew. Most of these were Hebrew. Paul wrote in Greek. This does settle the missing name in the Geneology in Matthew 1. It does not handle the 4 missing names from the same Geneology in 2 Chronicles. There is one name that looks very different between the Old and New. It might be the same person or not. Most differences are minor but I love to nit pick inerrantists because they are wrong and can be proven so.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I was taught that we were not Protestant, but I don’t remember encountering any questions about it.
Ena, there are CofC ministers that do know Hebrew and Greek and have divinity degrees. I went to a CofC University and there were teachers in the Bible department with Ph.D.’s.
zeek

Post by zeek »

agricola wrote:I am surely not the only coc kid who was told to check 'other' on all those forms that asked 'Catholic Protestant Jew other'?
My dad and a couple of his buddies caused a bit of a stir and got into minor trouble when they enlisted in the U.S. Navy. The options for religious affiliation at that time were Catholic, Protestant, Jew. They affirmed that they were neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jew but were Christian. In the end since they disavowed being Catholic but claimed to be Christian they were by default declared to be Protestant. My dad's dog tags are still embossed with the word protestant. I wonder what the current choices are for religious designation in the military? That BTW was in 1953
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
agricola

Post by agricola »

Trust me - the coc is Protestant. Right down to symbolic 'blood and wine' and 'priesthood of all believers' and 'sola scriptura'. Protestant.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:Trust me - the coc is Protestant. Right down to symbolic 'blood and wine' and 'priesthood of all believers' and 'sola scriptura'. Protestant.
They would say no....they are the true restored church. They didn't go through the "protestant" phase. According to them.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Ivy wrote:
agricola wrote:Trust me - the coc is Protestant. Right down to symbolic 'blood and wine' and 'priesthood of all believers' and 'sola scriptura'. Protestant.
They would say no....they are the true restored church. They didn't go through the "protestant" phase. According to them.
And if that isn't a PERFECT example of the total historical ignorance of the coc, I don't know what is.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The real lawds cheerch never had to be restored. It's always existabated.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

I remember a guy in a Bible class saying a friend or coworker or some such was "amazed" when he told him the CoC was established in AD 33. My guess is that the guy was more likely incredulous.

The CoC is a product of the Second Great Awakening in the United States of America. Although there's no "official" founding date, since it's an ad hoc denomination, you might point to the date in 1832 when the leaders of the Stone and Campbell movements agreed to work together. Or maybe you'd go back to 1801 to the Cane Ridge Revival, which is described as the "largest and most famous camp meeting of the Second Great Awakening." This was hosted by the Cane Ridge Presbyterian Church (Barton W. Stone being the pastor). If you want to place the CoC founding as the time when the movements merged, then I guess you'd say it took 30 years to evolve into a new denomination.

The Campbells were Presbyterians, too, so the CoC is the result of a division (or at best a drifting of doctrine) among Presbyterians. Of course it's Protestant.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Move it up to the 1900's actually - I believe the first time the a capella CoC was listed separately as a (sorry folks) denomination was around 1910.

then there was the great divide between 'institutional' and 'non-institutional' congregations in the early 1950's.

The congregation I grew up in was a product of a split on institutionalism, with my parents and a few other families leaving an older established congregation on that issue in 1955.

My parents were married in a double ceremony, with my mother's older sister Edith and her husband John G.

They were married in the CoC in 1949.

After 1955, John G and Edith would visit us (and vice versa) but would not attend services together any longer, because he was a 'non-institutionalist' and that issue created a rift between families which was never repaired.