So judgy

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
zeek

Re: So judgy

Post by zeek »

SolaDude wrote:I can remember being taught that no one can know if they themselves or someone else is saved, ever. I can still hear the words "we just don't know, we just don't know" in reference to someone's funeral. I just see that as a religious belief foreign to Christianity, but it's really real and out there. Can't think of a more miserable life to lead when you have been indoctrinated that you've got only your own works to hang your hat on and your salvation is a waiting game for the points to be added up after you die.
That concept is completely unbiblical. John wrote in I John "these things I have written that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life..."
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I looked at some commentaries about the “I never knew you verse”. It said this referred to people whose religiosity and good works were all for show. It mentioned Judas, who appeared to be in unison with the apostles, but was evil inside. True divine love will feed the hungry and clothe those who need it. It does not mean you follow all the nit picky rules of a cult-like church.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:I looked at some commentaries about the “I never knew you verse”. It said this referred to people whose religiosity and good works were all for show. It mentioned Judas, who appeared to be in unison with the apostles, but was evil inside. True divine love will feed the hungry and clothe those who need it. It does not mean you follow all the nit picky rules of a cult-like church.
Respectfully, commentaries are apologetics, aka assumptions, reinterpretations. The referenced verses, as written, do not say that. I understand believers wish that’s what the verses said, but they don’t.

If, however, like the verses referencing Ananias & Safire, they were written with the intent to scare people into being obedient, then they make sense. In that context, they are warning the faithful they failed to have enough “good works” to please God.

That interpretation, of course, would not fit in with modern mainline beliefs, so apologist “spin it” in a way that makes it acceptable. Fundamentalists would be more likely to interpret it exactly as it was written, as a warning that good works matter and God is keeping score.

If, as I believe, humans wrote this with the intent of scaring people into being obedient, then it fits in with other similar scriptures written in the same context and for the same purpose. The majority of believers today prefer the “spin” version and I don’t blame them, who wouldn’t.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I looked at some commentaries about the “I never knew you verse”. It said this referred to people whose religiosity and good works were all for show. It mentioned Judas, who appeared to be in unison with the apostles, but was evil inside. True divine love will feed the hungry and clothe those who need it. It does not mean you follow all the nit picky rules of a cult-like church.
I agree; that sounds right to me. FF, I hope you and all others who are celebrating today have a beautiful Easter Sunday.

Cootie, I am going to give you a pass today for your comments (re: "commentaries" and "apologetics") to FF today out of respect for all the Christians here who are observing Easter Sunday. I'll get back to you next week for a new round. :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
I agree; that sounds right to me. FF, I hope you and all others who are celebrating today have a beautiful Easter Sunday.

Cootie, I am going to give you a pass today for your comments (re: "commentaries" and "apologetics") to FF today out of respect for all the Christians here who are observing Easter Sunday. I'll get back to you next week for a new round. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You’re too kind. :D
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Ivy wrote:

You’re too kind. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My Easter gift to you, Cootie. :P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I would have gotten mad and switched from whatever insurance cootie sold to geicko. ;)
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

B.H. wrote:I would have gotten mad and switched from whatever insurance cootie sold to geicko. ;)
Only if you could find it cheaper. ;) Money always trumps emotion. :lol: :lol: And I represented about 20 auto insurance companies, so I could usually beat or match the competitions price. That’s why I was an Independent Agent. I could contract with a lot of companies.
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Kitty wrote:Two things have happened lately that really stick out as being so "judgy". The first was a coc sign that "Peace on earth is a decision, not an event" .
According to some people, every thing that happens to you in your life is the result of a "decision" or "choice". Every thought, mood or emotion you have is a decision or choice. This is so you can be blamed when bad things happen to you.

It is a form of shaming.

Shame on you for feeling that way. Shame on you for thinking that. Shame, shame, shame...
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote: And yet, ironically, the bible says "judge not that ye be not condemned". So there's a blatant disregard for scripture when fundamentalists are judging others.

To be fair, though, we all do it...other faiths caution against it as well. Trying not to judge others is a discipline within itself. We can't know what someone else is really going through, so it's best to mind our own business and just try to focus on being a better person.
Jesus is given the authority to Judge. Doing so you are taking his job. Imagine what it would be like to place your judgement in front of the one who is going to judge you. On the other hand it does not mean you have to become a door mat. You do not stand around a crazy dude with a knife. You leave the scene before you get hurt. In that way judgement is for your safety. That makes it a tough one. Your last paragraph is appropriate.