Female COC preacher

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Moogy

Female COC preacher

Post by Moogy »

“one of the most restrictive Christian groups relative to women and girls in the church. Its congregations make up most of the 1-4% of U.S. Christianity completely excluding women and girls from speaking, leading, and otherwise publicly and actively serving in any way during its worship services.

“It is also now one of the fastest-shrinking evangelical groups in the U.S., with about 1 in 8 members departing since 1990, the decline accelerating recently to over 5.6% of membership from 2016 to 2019.”

htt##://authentictheology.com/2020/02/04/interview-female-church-of-christ-preacher-poet-who-reached-millions-kaitlin-hardy-shetler/?fbclid=IwAR0RsFh-6vw7MD2WjGRp1hvEv7aPr02lRN2K4GndVFBwNm9VQMvSKtUHL9o

From an interesting article about a female COC preacher and poet.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Cootie Brown

Re: Female COC preacher

Post by Cootie Brown »

Maybe they should post a sign that says, “Will the last member of the Church of Christ please turn out the lights as you leave.”
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

Very interesting! Thanks for posting the link.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I thought it was very interesting. How many cofc women through the years have missed their "calling" as preachers, teachers, or ministers because they weren't permitted to speak? I would guess thousands through the years.

In one cofc church I attended, decades ago, there women who were far more intelligent and more educated in the bible (and academically) than the most of the men. But could they share their knowledge? Only in limited circumstances, and under the control and oversight of the far less capable men in the group. Never in the public assembly. What a waste.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Why would a woman want to be a Church of Christ preacher anyway? Bah ding!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Why would a woman want to be a Church of Christ preacher anyway? Bah ding!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
onward

Post by onward »

Ivy wrote:I thought it was very interesting. How many cofc women through the years have missed their "calling" as preachers, teachers, or ministers because they weren't permitted to speak? I would guess thousands through the years.

In one cofc church I attended, decades ago, there women who were far more intelligent and more educated in the bible (and academically) than the most of the men. But could they share their knowledge? Only in limited circumstances, and under the control and oversight of the far less capable men in the group. Never in the public assembly. What a waste.
Women in the ultra-conservative CofC groups have been perpetually gagged-and-bound to the pew and subjugated to the whims of often unqualified elders for what seems like eons. Christian women are treated like second-class members, at least during the “worship service”, and basically taught to keep their mouth shut ... I’m surprised they’re even allowed to sing.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Many years ago the one cuppers actually debated whether women could sing in church since it is a form of teaching. They decided the context of that kind of teaching was different, non authoritative, not like the preacher speaking.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

onward wrote:
Ivy wrote:I thought it was very interesting. How many cofc women through the years have missed their "calling" as preachers, teachers, or ministers because they weren't permitted to speak? I would guess thousands through the years.

Women in the ultra-conservative CofC groups have been perpetually gagged-and-bound to the pew and subjugated to the whims of often unqualified elders for what seems like eons. Christian women are treated like second-class members, at least during the “worship service”, and basically taught to keep their mouth shut ... I’m surprised they’re even allowed to sing.
And what keeps them from simply walking away? Maybe the deep indoctrination all fundamentalist are subjected to that has convinced them they would go to Hell, if they leave the Church of Christ and/or the Christian faith, or some fundamentalist version of it? Do they fear, or more accurately know, they will be shunned by family and friends?

If they are truly that smart, and highly educated, many would assume they could figure out that all these religious doctrines, teachings, and traditions have human origins. The fact there are more than a thousand denominations and an estimated 40,000+ versions of Christianity in the world ought to be a clue that something is very wrong with everyones “beliefs”.

Indoctrination, in all of its forms, has proven to be enormously effective even on highly educated intelligent people.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

If they are truly that smart, and highly educated, many would assume they could figure out that all these religious doctrines, teachings, and traditions have human origins.
This from the guy who believes in UFOs, and claims to have actually seen one. :lol: It's ok, Cootie; I'm open to them as well, but I am also open to their being higher power(s). I've also seen things that are quite remarkable and surreal. I believe you and your wife may have seen something that was from another dimension or maybe even there by time travel.

But back to your statement I quoted above...yes, the people I mentioned were and are bright, and highly educated, with advanced degrees, and yes, they knew about cultural anthropology and the evolution of religious beliefs and faith. As far as I know, one or more of them is still in the cofc mix; probably more. People stay in religions for many different reasons, and just because many traditions have been passed down through human beings does not mean there is no truth to them, or even an "ultimate truth". That's where I think you are misguided when you use that as "proof" of their being no god, gods or higher beings.