Female COC preacher

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
ena

Re: Female COC preacher

Post by ena »

Lerk wrote:
Some plants and animals evolve very fast, and it can be seen in nature and in the lab. That's one reason they use fruit flies in the lab -- you can get through a lot of generations in a hurry, and yes, become an eye-witness. Additionally, DNA research shows the relationships back through time of various organisms,
I view evolution as a way of categorizing different attributes in animals and plants. I am not an evolutionist because there are relationships between animal and plants. Some plants dump pollen on a bee as the bee accesses plant nectar. It then flies to flowers of the same color. Flowers of a certain color attract certain bees. The bumble bee is often attracted to blue. I saw a guy trying to shoo a bumble bee away when he was wearing a blue shirt. The bee thought he was the biggest blue flower in the universe. It was quite funny. I spent a semester growing different kinds of fruit flies. A drop of ether on a cotton ball in to the bottle knocks them out. You can then sort them into male and female. The females have a seven band abdomen and males have five bands. This is common with egg laying species. Even with fish the females are often bigger. They lay eggs on media in the bottom of the bottle. The eggs hatch into grubs. The grubs eat then pupate like a cocoon and become adults. Their life cycle is about two weeks. Most fruit flies have red eyes. There are white eyed males. Females prefer red eyed males. White eyed males do not get much. You don't get many white eyed babies. Even tiny brains have their preferences. Never saw afly change to something else. There were clearly some DNA changes over time.
FreedomFromCoC

Post by FreedomFromCoC »

ena wrote:
I am not an evolutionist because there are relationships between animal and plants.
What does this even mean?
FreedomFromCoC

Post by FreedomFromCoC »

Sean wrote:UFO's are OK because we have the testimony of people who think/claim to have witnessed them but there is no physical evidence nor is it reproducible.

Evolution from pond sludge to humans is OK because of reasoned arguments however there is no eye-witness nor is it reproducible.

But somehow it is logical and reasonable to regard Jesus, Angels, and Miracles as only imaginary unless and until there is some actual "evidence" because somehow witness testimony and reasoned arguments are suddenly not sufficient. :D

Yeah, it is beyond me why intelligent women don't fall all over themselves when they hear the good news that it all came from some accidental pond sludge. :lol:
Oh look, this argument again.

No, evolution isn't ok because of "reasoned arguments", it's because of evidence. Not reproducible, no eye-witnesses? Someone loves them some Ken Ham. Might want to try a little bit harder with the research; and just because you may not be able to understand it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Plus, if your best defense is "you have faith too"....you realize you're not really helping your cause too much right? Because by your logic you have to give the same reverence to every other religion and belief, if you're asking for the special pleading for yours.
FreedomFromCoC

Post by FreedomFromCoC »

Sean wrote:BH, again, while I am sure you are proud of yourself and thinking you have made a point, the point is about the inconsistency of deeming as acceptable (or not) when there is "only" witness testimony or reasoned argument. It is not about the concept of witness testimony itself. Thank you for letting me clarify it for you.

But you do raise an interesting point that the Book of Mormon is suspect since it is based on one guy who claimed he knew it all and then lost the source. Much like any other lone guy who claimed to have got it all years ago in the back of a cave. Neither claimed to be giving witness testimony per se, only that they spoke on behalf of God. Certainly plenty of people find that compelling, but then a lot of people think accidents in pond sludge makes sense. Different stokes for different folks, it is all good.
Actually , BH did make a point. And I'm sure you are proud of yourself for thinking YOU made a point, but all you have proven is you really don't understand evolution at all. You keep proving that with each post you make about it.

You're also proving that if you REALLY are sticking to your guns on this, then you probably shouldn't believe ANYTHING.
FreedomFromCoC

Post by FreedomFromCoC »

B.H. wrote:Why would a woman want to be a Church of Christ preacher anyway? Bah ding!
True; but I will say this, as much as I always hated having to preach a lesson....I found it to be incredibly simple.

Why? Because the audience is simple. All I ever had to do was regurgitate a variation of a lesson most of them had already heard 1000 times. Some weak, high level stuff that didn't rock any boats and didn't try to get too "controversial". Keep it about 30 minutes. After I was done everyone telling me how great I did. Most times I would either wait until the Saturday before and put something together, or in some cases if it was the Sunday night service I'd wait until Sunday afternoon to do it. I used to keep them in Word docs and one Sunday I didn't feel like putting a new one together, I just pulled out one from 2-3 years earlier, changed some paragraphs around and added a few verses. Nobody knew the difference.

Of course that was me and I only preached 1 time every 2 months or so but that went on for about 8 years. Full time preaching you may have to try a bit harder since you have way more sermons to give.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

FreedomFromCoC wrote: True; but I will say this, as much as I always hated having to preach a lesson....I found it to be incredibly simple. Why? Because the audience is simple. All I ever had to do was regurgitate a variation of a lesson most of them had already heard 1000 times. Some weak, high level stuff that didn't rock any boats and didn't try to get too "controversial". Keep it about 30 minutes. ......I didn't feel like putting a new one together, I just pulled out one from 2-3 years earlier, changed some paragraphs around and added a few verses. Nobody knew the difference.
Is it just me or do most CofCs recycle the same sermons on about a yearly basis? I seem to remember that from my own experience. And it would not be surprising at all based on the shallowness and roteness of what they teach and believe.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:
FreedomFromCoC wrote: True; but I will say this, as much as I always hated having to preach a lesson....I found it to be incredibly simple. Why? Because the audience is simple. All I ever had to do was regurgitate a variation of a lesson most of them had already heard 1000 times. Some weak, high level stuff that didn't rock any boats and didn't try to get too "controversial". Keep it about 30 minutes. ......I didn't feel like putting a new one together, I just pulled out one from 2-3 years earlier, changed some paragraphs around and added a few verses. Nobody knew the difference.
Is it just me or do most CofCs recycle the same sermons on about a yearly basis? I seem to remember that from my own experience. And it would not be surprising at all based on the shallowness and roteness of what they teach and believe.

I never noticed that so much, but that's probably because I wasn't listening. :lol: Back in those days, I was glad to be a
wummin so I didn't have to get up in the front and preach or lead singin'.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

It's a good thing ivy is one of the wimmin cause if she preached a sermon she would have preached me into hell.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Also, lots of those books in the Bible were written by authors supposedly living at different times who did not have eyewitnesses or only claimed to have witnesses. Also, many claimed authority to be a prophet or write a book but never really went about proving it.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

B.H. wrote:It's a good thing ivy is one of the wimmin cause if she preached a sermon she would have preached me into hell.
Ivy's "preach it, Sister" preaching of kindness, consideration, justice, and sympathy could never send anyone to hell, B.H.!!