Reverse consequences of withdrawal of fellowship

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
ACUAlumnus

Re: Reverse consequences of withdrawal of fellowship

Post by ACUAlumnus »

One of the hired preachers at the CoC where I grew up in Texas (we usually got a new one every few years) started preaching that they should disfellowship all the people who weren’t showing up for Wednesday night services. It split the church; one of the elders agreed with him and moved to a city 50 miles away to avoid the consequences.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

No kidding, ACU. A verse popped into my head when I read this post:
Mark 7:7
ESV
in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

ACUAlumnus wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:04 pm One of the hired preachers at the CoC where I grew up in Texas (we usually got a new one every few years) started preaching that they should disfellowship all the people who weren’t showing up for Wednesday night services. It split the church; one of the elders agreed with him and moved to a city 50 miles away to avoid the consequences.
No wonder C of C is a dying denomination.
They keep getting rid of anyone who doesn't do what they want, or disagrees with them.