C of C, Wuhan Coronavirus & Germs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

C of C, Wuhan Coronavirus & Germs

Post by Struggler »

Church of other denominations are cancelling or postponing events, services, etc. due to this virus. Even some C of C's I know are doing that, too. That's refreshing.

I remember for years being around C of C folks who had cold or flu symptoms, yet came to church every time the door was open, even shaking hands, coughing or sneezing without covering their mouths, etc. We weren't supposed to act any differently around them, either. And God only knows how many germs were transmitted by passing the communion or touching the matzo, etc. I also observed that the servers didn't wash or sanitize their hands before serving. But, to some, attendance is more important than anything else, including being responsible and considerate of others.
Cootie Brown

Re: C of C, Wuhan Coronavirus & Germs

Post by Cootie Brown »

The one cuppers may become extinct because taking the Lord’s Supper, on the first day of the week, is scriptural and therefore mandatory. No exceptions, but on the positive side they believe they will go to Heaven.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I took communion at a one cup church probably a hundred times. I never got sick.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

B.H. wrote:I took communion at a one cup church probably a hundred times. I never got sick.
With only one bullet in the cylinder, the odds are with ya. Keep pulling the trigger and eventually the gun will go bang.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Cootie Brown wrote:
B.H. wrote:I took communion at a one cup church probably a hundred times. I never got sick.
With only one bullet in the cylinder, the odds are with ya. Keep pulling the trigger and eventually the gun will go bang.
Nah, Brother Homer King was up in heaven making sure the germs stayed at bay.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Not about cofc, but supposedly the Wuhan COVID 19 was found in area bats. Does anyone know how a bat would come to be infected with such a virus?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

A bat is a mammal. Humans are mammals. Bats breathe and have lungs and can catch respiratory diseases.

Usually humans and bats don't catch the same viral diseases, but it isn't unheard of, either.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
onward

Post by onward »

Struggler wrote:Church of other denominations are cancelling or postponing events, services, etc. due to this virus. Even some C of C's I know are doing that, too. That's refreshing.

I remember for years being around C of C folks who had cold or flu symptoms, yet came to church every time the door was open, even shaking hands, coughing or sneezing without covering their mouths, etc. We weren't supposed to act any differently around them, either. And God only knows how many germs were transmitted by passing the communion or touching the matzo, etc. I also observed that the servers didn't wash or sanitize their hands before serving. But, to some, attendance is more important than anything else, including being responsible and considerate of others.
Just wondering if it would be acceptable to bring our own bottle of Welch’s Grape Juice and a box of crackers for use during the communion service ... probably not.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

I have a friend still in c of C who told me his congregation in Arkansas has cancelled Sunday nights and Wednesday nights but still intends to meet on Sunday mornings, because, Lord's Supper, ya know.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Melanie wrote:I have a friend still in c of C who told me his congregation in Arkansas has cancelled Sunday nights and Wednesday nights but still intends to meet on Sunday mornings, because, Lord's Supper, ya know.
Oh, great. :roll:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~