Adults can't live alone & must have roommates

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithandmore

Re: Adults can't live alone & must have roommates

Post by faithandmore »

FinallyFree wrote:My grandmother had this belief that single females should live with their parents until they are married, and if they moved out and got their own place, they were some kind of wild and immoral woman. .
That's the impression I got, although they did not come right out and say that. But now I know, they probably thought women who live alone, like to sleep around and that nobody will know about it (because there's no roommate to tell anyone they don't come home at night).

At H.U., we had a curfew for the women's dorms. I dated a lot my freshman year and so my roommate and suite mates knew everything about my dating life. They were jealous. My roommate told me that, at age 18, she'd never been a date in her life. She watched me get dressed up and do my hair every Friday and Saturday night to go somewhere with a guy. It ate away at her and we didn't get along. She was attractive but had an ugly personality. Finally the next semester, some guy asked her to go to church with him on a Sunday morning. That was her first real "date".
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

That is one thing I will avoid at all costs is get into a relationship with someone with an ugly personality. I dont care how good looking they are I dont want any ugly psyche.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

It’s the same reason members of the c of C were discouraged from reading anything not written by a member of “The Church”. They feared members might become “confused” if they were exposed to ideas, beliefs, and other points of view, that differed from c of C teaching.

That kind of censorship was intended to protect the souls of members from being lost. Such measures should never be confused with indoctrination or cult like behavior because members souls could be put in jeopardy if they were to become confused by being exposed to unscriptural information.

Better to have a trained mind rather than burn in hell for all eternity. Brothers, can I have an AMEN! 8-)
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Cootie Brown wrote:It’s the same reason members of the c of C were discouraged from reading anything not written by a member of “The Church”. They feared members might become “confused” if they were exposed to ideas, beliefs, and other points of view, that differed from c of C teaching. )
Kind of like how they frown on anyone who reads non-Christian fiction books. Any book or movie not labeled "Christian" is suspect and you are suspect for reading it.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithandmore wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:My grandmother had this belief that single females should live with their parents until they are married, and if they moved out and got their own place, they were some kind of wild and immoral woman. .
That's the impression I got, although they did not come right out and say that. But now I know, they probably thought women who live alone, like to sleep around and that nobody will know about it (because there's no roommate to tell anyone they don't come home at night).
I think it was about that. They wanted to try and make sure their singles didn't have sex. So, best to live with someone in the church who could chaperone and tattle if necessary. :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Ivy wrote:
faithandmore wrote:
I think it was about that. They wanted to try and make sure their singles didn't have sex. So, best to live with someone in the church who could chaperone and tattle if necessary. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All the Christian women I knew who had roommates were all waiting until marriage to have sex.

To me, the idea of roommates is for college kids and maybe very early 20s (year or two post college). I could not see myself in my 30s having a roommate.
Pantone505

Post by Pantone505 »

FinallyFree wrote:I remember Cootie saying yoga pants show off a woman’s body and are distracting. Leggings are the same way.
I see London
I see France
I see leggings
trying to be pants
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Ivy wrote:
faithandmore wrote:
My roommate was a cat. He would never tattle on me.
ena

Post by ena »

FinallyFree wrote:I remember Cootie saying yoga pants show off a woman’s body and are distracting. Leggings are the same way.
That's Cootie's problem. I like the female form with all the curves. For some reason I can enjoy perfect legs when I could look at vulvas all day long and not get turned on. Guys are weird that way. I've heard some guys talk about necks and breasts. I have heard women worry about the size of their breasts. No matter to me. Different strokes for different folks. Donald related the size of hands to the size of penis. I guess he might feel there is a inadequacy somewhere. There is! It about his thought processes. They are all about Donald Trump and Donald Trump getting reelected. He is down in every poll. As far as I am concerned I will vote in November for nothing that smells Republican. I will tell you that California has too many Democrats. This because the cities are liberal and rural areas are Republican. I've lived in both. The most voters are in the cities. The web does not know this.