The Lord's Prayer

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Melanie

Re: The Lord's Prayer

Post by Melanie »

Yeah, I remember one of my mom's repeated sermonettes she frequently gave me whenever a "teachable" moment came up was on this issue. The Kingdon HAS come, so we couldn't say that part. In the 70's, some nun made a song out of the Lord's Prayer and it got a few weeks of playtime on the local top 40 radio station. Whenever it came on, she would have to remind me about the problem with the prayer. Another one of her sermonettes was repeated often during the Christmas season whenever "God Rest You Merry Gentlemen" was broadcast since it said that Christ was born on Christmas Day. She ALWAYS had to remind me that we don't KNOW when Jesus was born, yadda yadda yadda. I got the feeling she was scared I would forget one of these lessons and would be eternally lost! She always gave these little talks in a very somber tone with her eyebrows knit in concern as though our eternal destiny rest on our complete understanding of these matters.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4iJkNCaZ8

I remember C of C'ers getting bent out of shape over Sister Janet Mead and The Lord's Prayer. A lot of people learned it with that song, I'm sure.
KLP

Post by KLP »

As a kid in school, the LP seemed sort of like the Pledge of Allegiance. Some one who doesn't know the Pledge or the words to the National Anthem...you might wonder about that person and how they were raised. And here I am, this PK in a small town and I don't know the prayer and am sort of stumbling through it and then eventually I learned I am not really supposed to say it. I am sure it looked great. We moved a lot but I think after 6th grade it stopped.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I had to relearn The Lord's Prayer when I started visiting denominations after my departure from the COC. I had memories of hearing it in the early school grades.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

FinallyFree wrote:In my Disciples of Christ church, we say it every Sunday. I love it! I have heard that you can think of it like . . .Thy kingdom has come, so they will be done on earth. It works either way.
I like that, too, about my church. There's something about all of us quietly mumbling the prayer together that feels very soothing and connecting to millions who've said it.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

AtPeace wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:In my Disciples of Christ church, we say it every Sunday. I love it! I have heard that you can think of it like . . .Thy kingdom has come, so they will be done on earth. It works either way.
I like that, too, about my church. There's something about all of us quietly mumbling the prayer together that feels very soothing and connecting to millions who've said it.
I love the sense of community and continuity of praying this prayer together. There's a quite elderly couple, both very sweet and kind, who usually sit behind my husband and me. Their fragile and beautiful voices, cracked yet sincere, are very touching. I love that. I also love the voice of the four year old whom I can sometimes hear, saying "Ah Fodder, who ought in Hebbund..." It shows that I am part of something much bigger than me, much bigger than my works, all dependent on grace.
I like that. I like it a lot.
God is good.