Has Anyone Had This Happen?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
roddma

Has Anyone Had This Happen?

Post by roddma »

My cousin who seldom went to church in her life is now a full fledged Church of Christ member at 60. Her husband doesn't go. I think it happened because her parents my aunt and uncle needed someone to drive them. And they didn't get into that church or any church until about 2010 or so. I guess she is pro-Trump as another cousin of mine. I know people have rights to their religions but I got raised CoC and unlike them I have seen all the inner workings. I already had to politely called her out on a meme that obviously was in criticism to the #metoo movement. The other pro-Trump cousin has always been raised this way but it just baffles how people get pulled in CoC so easily.
SolaDude

Re: Has Anyone Had This Happen?

Post by SolaDude »

Are your cousins narcissistic in any way or do they think highly of themselves and look down on others? CofC people more often than not think highly of themselves compared to everyone else, so would, ISTM, tend to support someone like Trump. So, maybe your cousins are perhaps birds of a feather with them??

I always thought how dissonant it was to hear them gloat that they were the true Christians (the only ones with the truth) while making I Cor. 13 required reading as the "love chapter" in which Paul said if you think you have all truth and knowledge but have no love, you are nothing.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Wow Sola!! You resurrected an old thread. But a good one. We haven't seen roddma in ages...I hope they are ok.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

roddma wrote:My cousin who seldom went to church in her life is now a full fledged Church of Christ member at 60. Her husband doesn't go. I think it happened because her parents my aunt and uncle needed someone to drive them. And they didn't get into that church or any church until about 2010 or so. I guess she is pro-Trump as another cousin of mine. I know people have rights to their religions but I got raised CoC and unlike them I have seen all the inner workings. I already had to politely called her out on a meme that obviously was in criticism to the #metoo movement. The other pro-Trump cousin has always been raised this way but it just baffles how people get pulled in CoC so easily.
No, I haven't seen this happen.

But it looks like she has found her element. She likely belongs in C of C and is wondering why she didn't find them many years ago.

My mother had a documented personality disorder and C of C was perfect for her and fit her rigid thinking patterns.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I do think some can be pulled in easily, especially if they are religiously rootless. They see a close-knit community where they can get a lot of their needs met...or so they hope. Bless their hearts. I have certainly seen that backfire many times.

I am going to put this here, because I think it's relevant to the original post. If mods see fit to move it to the Trump thread, I'm ok with their decision. It is so odd to me that cofc-ers are now Trumpers. I know y'all have heard me say this repeatedly, ad nauseum, but back in my day, my parents were blue dog FDR Democrats. They would never budge, even if their church buddies did. I am glad that they did not live to see the craziness that exists now, with Trump desecrating the hallowed office and cofc members supporting him.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:It is so odd to me that cofc-ers are now Trumpers.
I've thought the same, but as I look back, I see perhaps why. IMO, they see themselves from a theologic perspective as having all the "rightness" answers, solid, no wiggle room, everyone else be pitied or even damned. That translates into their "rightness" world view which is essentially white ethnocentrism and politico-evangelicalism (seeing their political views as stemming from their theology). They view the Constitiution like scripture, that is, that it can only be interpreted in one "right" way and most likely is "from God" as a near supplement to the Bible.

Their favorite scripture IMO is where Paul says whoever will not work will not eat and they take that with absolute purity above even the words of Jesus. Therefore, if anyone lives, eats, or has medical care of anykind then it's because he or she works or has enough money to pay for such themselves. If they don't or can't work, then tough. And the thought of a government "helping" anyone not working, even if it is a government training program, is therefore anathema to them since, I presume, they think those people deserve to be left in distress. It's really a translation of worship from Jesus/God to a worship of work plus other political ideas, i.e., worship of a political ideology, and results in a "self-centric", "pat themselves on the back", mindset.

It's really therefore IMO not hard to see how this kind of focused resentment/hatred/self-centeredness easily translates into Trumpism.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Ivy wrote:Wow Sola!! You resurrected an old thread. But a good one. We haven't seen roddma in ages...I hope they are ok.
Old thread? Isn’t it dated this month?

I think many people are attracted to the COC because their arguments sound good if you don’t examine them closely. They are experts at proof-texting. Most people never study principles of logic. And they don’t know how to unravel the tangled COC claims.

But if her parents were going to that church, she probably just started going with them thinking any church is as good as another. Likely she was politically conservative before she started attending that church.

Back in my childhood/young adult years, the COC seemed proud to stay out of politics.

My opinions, take ‘em or leave ‘em.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:Wow Sola!! You resurrected an old thread. But a good one. We haven't seen roddma in ages...I hope they are ok.
I think it's a new thread by roddma, isn't it??
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:
I think it's a new thread by roddma, isn't it??
Yes, sorry!!! I was looking at roddma’s joined date!!!
OOPS!!!! Glad you’re actually here roddma!!
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

SolaDude wrote:
Ivy wrote:It is so odd to me that cofc-ers are now Trumpers.
I've thought the same, but as I look back, I see perhaps why. IMO, they see themselves from a theologic perspective as having all the "rightness" answers, solid, no wiggle room, everyone else be pitied or even damned. That translates into their "rightness" world view which is essentially white ethnocentrism and politico-evangelicalism (seeing their political views as stemming from their theology). They view the Constitiution like scripture, that is, that it can only be interpreted in one "right" way and most likely is "from God" as a near supplement to the Bible.

Their favorite scripture IMO is where Paul says whoever will not work will not eat and they take that with absolute purity above even the words of Jesus. Therefore, if anyone lives, eats, or has medical care of anykind then it's because he or she works or has enough money to pay for such themselves. If they don't or can't work, then tough. And the thought of a government "helping" anyone not working, even if it is a government training program, is therefore anathema to them since, I presume, they think those people deserve to be left in distress. It's really a translation of worship from Jesus/God to a worship of work plus other political ideas, i.e., worship of a political ideology, and results in a "self-centric", "pat themselves on the back", mindset.

It's really therefore IMO not hard to see how this kind of focused resentment/hatred/self-centeredness easily translates into Trumpism.
Oh yeah, you nailed it! I am also an ex-COC, and that is exactly the attitude that many of them exhibit. "We have the pure unadulterated Truth, and everybody else is going to Hell."