Typical! "RIP"

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Lerk

Typical! "RIP"

Post by Lerk »

Here's a blog post today from someone on a mostly CoC blogging site. The founder of the site intended for it to be, and really tried to make it a diverse place. He isn't in the CoC anymore, but most of his college friends were at the time (maybe 20 years ago now!), and later their parents' -- including me -- flocked to the site. The few still active on the site (activity seriously declined when facebook exploded way back when) are all NI-CoC, mostly older and still very stuck in the 1960s, though there are fortunately a few who aren't so cringy. I shudder to think that I may have thought this way so long ago, but must admit that I did. (But I never went so far as to give unsolicited advice, for which I'm very, very glad.)

So without further ado, for your amazement, the post:
THE TERM: REST IN PEACE (RIP)
at 10/09/20 8:16AM
Pretty sure we're all familiar with this term. It's usually used at someone's passing. I don't have a problem with it - when one is a Christian. But I see it used by Christians of those who have passed are clearly not Christians, those who have not submitted their lives to the Lord. That does bother me.

I know a young teenager who is really into music and that genre of folks, as are her parents. And she is a fan of Eddie Van Halen, a rock star who just recently died. And on her Facebook page, she had at least two posts using "Rest in peace" on one and "RIP" on the other. There's certainly nothing wrong with being sad at someone's passing, especially if that one is not a Christian. That's when I have a real problem with using these terms with that person. So, I decided to send her a private message. When I see things like that, I do not write them in public as I do not feel that is the best way for someone to consider their actions or a post they made. Just thought I would share my message to her with you for your consideration. You may have also seen these terms used at a time that may not be appropriate.

My message to her:

Just wanted to PM you to tell you something and pray, as a Christian, you'll give thought and consideration to it.

You had used the words "rest in peace" with Eddie Van Halen who has just died. I do understand the sentiment and have probably used it myself in the past without considering what it means.

As I've aged, I've come to realize I can still be sad and show my care and concern at someone's passing without using the "RIP". Sadly, for one who has not submitted his/her life to the Lord, the Bible teaches us there can't be an eternal peace for that person - very sad indeed.

Just some things I wanted to point out and share with you that I've come to the knowledge of as I've gotten older. As I said, we can still express sympathy and sadness without using a term that wouldn't be appropriate for one who had not submitted his/her will to God.

Hope you have a good day. Love you!
gordie91

Re: Typical! "RIP"

Post by gordie91 »

How on earth does this dope know that EVH didn't submit his life over to the lord?

My priest recently talked about this type of thinking and how we should regard ourselves to the strict standards and not others. By doing that we do not fall victim to PRIDE!!!!!

Boy do I remember people like that.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

gordie91 wrote:How on earth does this dope know that EVH didn't submit his life over to the lord?

My priest recently talked about this type of thinking and how we should regard ourselves to the strict standards and not others. By doing that we do not fall victim to PRIDE!!!!!

Boy do I remember people like that.
My guess would be he doesn't know squat about EVH's religious inclinations or lack thereof. And where is the term in the bible, "rest in peace"? It's not even there, to my knowledge. We even have differing versions in the bible as to what the afterlife, if there is one, might be like.

That is truly disgusting, and such a boundary violation. I'd daresay even spiritual abuse. That young girl will never forget the guy who told her it's wrong to say "rest in peace" to a non-cofc member.

Oh, and of course, "Christian" is only the cofc member. That sweet Baptist lady down the street who just passed away...you can't tell her to "rest in peace", either. :roll: :roll: :roll:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I don’t judge the destination/fate of the deceased. Only God knows.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I don’t judge the destination/fate of the deceased. Only God knows.
That's a good position to take, IMHO. There's no way anyone alive can truly know what happens after death. We can talk about NDEs in another thread.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Ivy wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:I don’t judge the destination/fate of the deceased. Only God knows.
That's a good position to take, IMHO. There's no way anyone alive can truly know what happens after death. We can talk about NDEs in another thread.
Yes, I agree. No one knows what happens after death. Many things in the Bible are contradictory.
A few exceptions to the not judging position—Hitler and Trump!
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The Bible contains satanic doctrine so I wouldnt put any consideration into what it says concerningcsomeones afterlife state.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:The Bible contains satanic doctrine so I wouldnt put any consideration into what it says concerningcsomeones afterlife state.
BH be trollin'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

How does he know that Eddie Van Halen wasn't a Christian???
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithandmore wrote:How does he know that Eddie Van Halen wasn't a Christian???
He can't know that.

I did a little googling and saw an article saying he was, or may have been, a devout Catholic.

I also saw this, for whatever it's worth:

h**ps://www.vhnd.com/2012/03/11/eddie-and-alex- ... o-city-nj/