CYC

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Fellow Traveler

CYC

Post by Fellow Traveler »

Did anyone here ever go? I went 3 times total in my COC days.

The first time, I really enjoyed it. I was in 9th grade and the theme was "Confidence in the Lord". I loved being in the mountains at a retreat with friends and it felt like a positive experience at the time.

The next year, the theme was "Purity". I didn't enjoy a whole weekend talking about sex. It was awkward. Later on, myself and others were discussing our thoughts on it and I admitted I didn't care for it this time. One guy says in a condescending tone "Well [name], you don't believe in being pure?? My issue was it being a whole weekend worth.

Several years later, I went for the last time. Generic topic, building with lousy acoustics for acapella singing, and always Lonnie Jones as the main attraction!

I used to know some of the guys who put it together. One claimed they never had them say from the stage not to clap or whatever during worship. That's false because I heard it said from the stage the first time I went. At any rate, I can't help but feel I missed out when I see some of what youth at our current church get to do.
ena

Re: CYC

Post by ena »

Don't know about CYC. I do enjoy sex within my marriage. I have been married 49 years. I am no virgin and have no desire to be. Different perspective when you have had many life experiences. The CoC is far to limited for me. The idea that you can impress God in any fashion is beyond ridiculous. God is only impressed with perfection. No human can meet that standard. He does appreciate love.
Fellow Traveler

Re: CYC

Post by Fellow Traveler »

ena wrote:Don't know about CYC. I do enjoy sex within my marriage. I have been married 49 years. I am no virgin and have no desire to be. Different perspective when you have had many life experiences. The CoC is far to limited for me. The idea that you can impress God in any fashion is beyond ridiculous. God is only impressed with perfection. No human can meet that standard. He does appreciate love.
Well good for you that you enjoy MARITAL sex after 49 years. That obviously wasn't the point of a YOUTH event. Yes, I would agree that life experiences and observations shape one's views toward certain things and it seems like many fundamentalist Christians, especially the COC, are too afraid to look out past their insular echo chamber.