Earl Edwards

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Earl Edwards

Post by SolaDude »

Does anyone here remember a CofC missionary named (I believe) Earl Edwards?? Just wondering whatever happened to him, I would think he died decades ago. I remember my Mom having ladies over to fold fliers to mail out on behalf of him in the late 50's. I wonder what it was they were sending? I remember that hand-cranked drum used with a stencil (I know there's a name for it, but can't remember) they used to print off purple-colored type documents to mail out.

I notice there's an Earl Edwards on YouTube who is an older gentleman preacher at a Church of Christ, but I don't see how it could be him. Maybe it's his son or grandson?? w*w.facebook.com/watch/?v=749952928495052

Addendum: Maybe that is him!! If he was born in 1933 (I also found that on the Web), he would have been about 25 yrs old in the late 50's, so maybe was a young missionary at the time. Also, I saw where he was a missionary in Italy, and now that I think about it, I think I remember that those fliers my Mom and the ladies were working on related to his efforts in Italy. So I guess that must be him. I guess I answered my own question! He seems to have a typical CofC "older white person" countenance, that is a stone-face, little expression. But I'm sure he's a typical, friendly CofC'er. But if I'm not mistaken, Italy is still Catholic!....I wonder if there are Churches of Christ over there still.

Maybe at the time the thought was to go to Italy to proselytize the Catholic church, oh my.
Ivy

Re: Earl Edwards

Post by Ivy »

Mineograph machine!! Remember that fresh ink scent?

I don’t remember Earl. Musta been librul.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

There was a no Sunday school missionary who got caught up in a famine in India and died in it years ago. I'm trying to remember his name.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:54 pm Does anyone here remember a CofC missionary named (I believe) Earl Edwards?? Just wondering whatever happened to him, I would think he died decades ago. I remember my Mom having ladies over to fold fliers to mail out on behalf of him in the late 50's. I wonder what it was they were sending? I remember that hand-cranked drum used with a stencil (I know there's a name for it, but can't remember) they used to print off purple-colored type documents to mail out.

I notice there's an Earl Edwards on YouTube who is an older gentleman preacher at a Church of Christ, but I don't see how it could be him. Maybe it's his son or grandson?? w*w.facebook.com/watch/?v=749952928495052

Addendum: Maybe that is him!! If he was born in 1933 (I also found that on the Web), he would have been about 25 yrs old in the late 50's, so maybe was a young missionary at the time. Also, I saw where he was a missionary in Italy, and now that I think about it, I think I remember that those fliers my Mom and the ladies were working on related to his efforts in Italy. So I guess that must be him. I guess I answered my own question! He seems to have a typical CofC "older white person" countenance, that is a stone-face, little expression. But I'm sure he's a typical, friendly CofC'er. But if I'm not mistaken, Italy is still Catholic!....I wonder if there are Churches of Christ over there still.

Maybe at the time the thought was to go to Italy to proselytize the Catholic church, oh my.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will flesh out my previous answer a little, having more time now.

Missionary in Italy!! LOL. I wonder if the Pope was offended to see a cofc missionary come in to evangelize the Catholic flock. What in the world were American churches thinking, sending missionaries into countries that already had their own established religion and spirituality. I know, "go ye into all the world", there's that. But now that we're all more "woke", we know that that was a terrible boundary violation and insult to the targeted country.

The purple drum things were called "mimeograph" machines. When Sister Ivy was in elementary school, mimeograph machines were used all the time. The freshly mimeographed papers smelled great; you could almost get high on them. I remember the teachers cranking out sheets of purple print, and pictures of turkeys at Thanksgiving to be crayon colored. Ah, the good old days.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I remember mimeograph machines!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Is this him?

www.facebook.com/fingerchurchofchrist/v ... 928495052/

CofC - check
missionary in Italy - check
teacher at Freed Hardeman - check

I think he died rather recently. I don't remember the guy, but Freed was a little more conservative than we were, I think.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

agricola wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:14 pm Is this him?
Yep, he was a CofC evangelist in Italy. I wonder how that went, converting Catholics on their home turf. But here's a quintessential and proverbial old CofC guy in a changeless, drab looking CofC auditorium with a lecturn that's probably never been moved from the spot it's resting on for decades. I'm just thinking of all the boilerplate, utterly boring CofC services he attended all his life, with the exact same sermons recycling about every year. I must admit, he really did persevere.
Last edited by SolaDude on Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:14 pm Is this him?

www.facebook.com/fingerchurchofchrist/v ... 928495052/

CofC - check
missionary in Italy - check
teacher at Freed Hardeman - check

I think he died rather recently. I don't remember the guy, but Freed was a little more conservative than we were, I think.
Awww. Poor old soul, kind of struggling to get up to the podium. I never heard anyone speak of him, that I remember. I have an older friend I can ask. That video of the front of a cofc looks iconic...except for the TV screen up front. That can't be scriptural.