Camp Wyldewood

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Camp Wyldewood

Post by SolaDude »

Did anyone ever go to summer camp there (Searcy, Arkansas)? I remember when I was a kid that kids from our CofC would go there, then went when I was 13 with a couple of church friends. I didn't even realize until after I got there that it was associated with Harding. I remember the mess hall, the daily salt pills, and the Superman march (I just about didn't make it, remember being exhausted). One fella in our cabin was from the deep south, hated Yankess and let them know how he felt, he's was one scary dude. I suppose that CofC camp is still going.
faithandmore

Re: Camp Wyldewood

Post by faithandmore »

Our parents didn't want us going to any camp. But yes, I heard of Wyldewood and knew people who went there, and worked there.

If that guy hated "Yankees" I shudder to think how he felt about immigrants from other countries.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Never did!! I never heard it mentioned even as an option.
Our NiCOC didn’t send their kids out to things like that. We were sheltered at home and with church friends. It was a pretty simple life.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Never did hear of it. We all went to Short Mountain, near Woodbury, TN.

arts and crafts (popsicle sticks and glue, and too many lanyards), horseback riding (I liked that), swimming (the water in the pool was GREEN), hiking and probably sports of some kind - Badminton? I think the boys had basketball. Chapel in the morning and Bible study after lunch and vespers after supper daily. Dragonian gender separation and a dress code. The cabins had an awful lot of daddy longlegs and some truly amazing spiders. No screens. No AC of COURSE. We all played Capture the Flag - about the only gender combined activity outside of meals and religious meetings.
Cold showers - TIMED - WATER SHORTAGE - 60 seconds in and out. The laundry actually had one of those ancient washing machines with a ROLLER.

I must say - Wyldewood with a Y (and an e)? Sounds way too fantastic - something out of Lord of the Rings.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

agricola wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:52 am Never did hear of it. We all went to Short Mountain, near Woodbury, TN.

arts and crafts (popsicle sticks and glue, and too many lanyards), horseback riding (I liked that), swimming (the water in the pool was GREEN), hiking and probably sports of some kind - Badminton? I think the boys had basketball. Chapel in the morning and Bible study after lunch and vespers after supper daily. Dragonian gender separation and a dress code. The cabins had an awful lot of daddy longlegs and some truly amazing spiders. No screens. No AC of COURSE. We all played Capture the Flag - about the only gender combined activity outside of meals and religious meetings.
Cold showers - TIMED - WATER SHORTAGE - 60 seconds in and out. The laundry actually had one of those ancient washing machines with a ROLLER.

I must say - Wyldewood with a Y (and an e)? Sounds way too fantastic - something out of Lord of the Rings.
VESPERS???? They had a service called vespers? My NICOC would have branded you "practically a denomination"! :o
We never went to a church camp. The NICOCs that my relatives attend now have kids going to a couple of camps affiliated with Florida College.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
agricola

Post by agricola »

Yes they called it 'vespers' at camp, and that was literally THE first time in my life I ever heard the word, AT ALL. And it was never really explained. I had to run across it in books to understand that it was an actual 'thing' and not just some random camp word someone made up.

I felt very ignorant in my twenties and thirties, when I started learning about NORMAL Christian stuff. For instance, I did not know what 'Advent' was (except a verb meaning 'something starting', like 'the advent of baseball'). I did not really know what 'liturgy' meant, although I had enough Latin in high school to see that it had something to with writing. I only knew 'Lent' because I read a bunch of big historical novels which mentioned it - and I did not know it was related to Easter, nor what time of year it was, just like I didn't know those other terms like 'Matins' - I would read those things and have this grasp of 'something Catholic' and that was it.

I look back now at the coc and realize we really learned NOTHING. We did not advance in learning year by year (I should say 'grow in understanding', right?). We did the same things over and over and over again, and the adult classes would study 'Acts' almost the same way the 9 year olds did, or the 15 year olds did: verse by verse, 'this means', proving over and over the same exact single approved interpretations.

As Paul said, in chapter X verse Y of ____________...
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
nivensimani

Post by nivensimani »

Never been there, but there was one I remember attending a few times. I can't recall the name right now but it was in Ohio.
shlybluz

Post by shlybluz »

nivensimani wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:29 pm Never been there, but there was one I remember attending a few times. I can't recall the name right now but it was in Ohio.
Was it Fort Hill out in the middle of nowhere a couple hours east of Cincinnati? That's the only one I can recall in Ohio; never went there as a kid but went to an adult singles retreat there once.