When the roots in the coc run deep

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
JKendallDane

When the roots in the coc run deep

Post by JKendallDane »

I think it's safe to say that most of us were born into the coc, and kind of like being Jewish, you were just expected to never leave. Yet we did and many times along with that decision came a certain amount of internal conflict and guilt for somehow "failing" not just God, but also your family.

Since both sets of my grandparents were born in the 1880s, the family could trace back to almost the very beginnings of the coc movement. Didn't help any either that thanks to being a late-in-life baby, I had the extra misfortune of my Dad already being an elder when I was born, and before I was a teenager, having most every uncle an elder or deacon at their home congregations.

Then add in the biggie: My oldest cousin who it was often vocally expressed to me that I should follow into the ministry. What more could a good coc family achieve than having the oldest and youngest of a generation both be preachers? I actually seriously considered it until I was about 17.

The funny thing is, I didn't realize for many years just how deep those roots ran until my oldest brother made a comment one day about 'Cousin Gene' (the minister) and his famous father-in-law. When I gave him a funny look of not understanding, he laughed and said: "You mean you didn't know that Cousin Martha Jane is Foy Wallace's daughter? That's as close to having the Pope in your family as it gets for the coc."

But even being related to "coc royalty" didn't get me to stay. The roots may have indeed been deep, but they weren't being fed with what I considered 'good nourishment'.
God gave us dogs so we would understand love, and then gave us cats so we could comprehend serving others.
bnot

Re: When the roots in the coc run deep

Post by bnot »

The roots do run deep in my family, but the more I research the coc doctrine the more I want to stay away. Most of their major claims are false, which led me to leave. I'm not against visiting a coc with family on occasion but that's about it.
Lev

Post by Lev »

My grandfather did some genealogical research into his side of the family and reported to the rest of us, proudly, that 'our family has been in the church for five generations.' Now, though, more of my generation has left the COC than remain in.

Lev
ena

Post by ena »

bnot wrote:The roots do run deep in my family, but the more I research the coc doctrine the more I want to stay away. Most of their major claims are false, which led me to leave.
I don't see their doctrines as entirely false. Some of their claims are. We probably should list them. Usually they come from the pulpit. The attitude of condemnation did not come from God. Almost like May you sin all the more so you rot in Hell. The image of God cackling over as you roast on the spit are not images of God. I'm sure God is not happy about sin nor the author of sin but sin may the result of free will. This is hugely problematic with Calvinists. On the positive side Calvinists do have a good view of the deity of God. You can learn things even from your enemy if you look. Counter views have their points if you look. Edwin Kagin was an atheist who wore a cheesy priests robes and debaptized fellow atheists with a hair dryer. He called communion swallow the leader. Yet, he complained that Christians were far too numerous for an Atheist to prevail in a discussion. Wow! There's the meat. He is now dead. An article is on youtube. The Nightline episode shows it. I don't intend to post the link as there are some with weak stomachs. I used to be agnostic and have been exposed to a lot of this stuff as well as the CoC. Let your gut be your guide. It will detect stuff you may not notice. Take care!
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

bnot wrote:The roots do run deep in my family, but the more I research the coc doctrine the more I want to stay away. Most of their major claims are false, which led me to leave. I'm not against visiting a coc with family on occasion but that's about it.
Deep roots here too. For years I was able to ignore their quirky traditional beliefs, but never able to understand, or accept their hallmark stance of being the only true church.
Unity in diversity
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

I got hints from family about preaching, but my parents never pushed me in that direction. The biddies and others did, though, Hated it. The C of C mentality was so ingrained in many of them to the point where it was their brand, like Del Monte or Calvin Klein or whatever.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Struggler wrote:I got hints from family about preaching, but my parents never pushed me in that direction. The biddies and others did, though, Hated it. The C of C mentality was so ingrained in many of them to the point where it was their brand, like Del Monte or Calvin Klein or whatever.
church of Christ™ :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

great analogy!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Roots run deep here also. Looking through family history, I realized that great great grandfather was C of C minister. Most Aunts and Uncles are C of C still. Several of my cousins have left the C of C. Two were C of C ministers that left the Church. Most of us that have left are religious and the family is very loving, but doesn't think we are going to heaven. What a sad thing for them to believe. This website has been very helpful to me.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

A friend of mine suggested that before every C of C service, devotional or "lectureship," they have someone get up in the front and do a cheer. "Church of Christ, Church of Christ, YAYYYYYYYYYY! Church of Christ!"